Oil Life

Guest DaninSpain
Go to solution Solved by Guest DaninSpain,

Guest DaninSpain

Is anyone able to tell me how long fully synthetic oil is good for.

I just found 2 litres left over from a 4 litre container that I know to be at least 8 years old. 

Be a shame to chuck it away as it's expensive oil.

Thanks

Dan

I recently contacted Silkolene on the same subject - they said that they give a shelf life of 4-5 years for an unopened container.

Guest bonekicker

But of course the oil company's want you to throw the old oil away and buy some of the brand new oil--that's in a nice shiny clean tin-- :baby:

One year after opening. Closed as shown at the mark.

PS: I use the old oil for the oiler or for the chain saw so no waste there :)

Edited by prr
bazza

having just read the link about WD40 - looks like its ok on the bikes chain.Failing that lawn mover or car!

Tonyj

Dan how much is a new engine , why bother taking the risk . For twenty five euros you've got new oil, I'd think you'd be radio rental

• Like 1
  • Solution
Guest DaninSpain

Dan how much is a new engine , why bother taking the risk . For twenty five euros you've got new oil, I'd think you'd be radio rental

Ok, agreed.

I used 13 year old fully synthetic in my VFR 12 and the Honda dealers used it for the service....no problem and it is a little more stress an engine than the NC750!

Tonyj

I used 13 year old fully synthetic in my VFR 12 and the Honda dealers used it for the service....no problem and it is a little more stress an engine than the NC750!

that reminds me, not to buy any old vfr 's in Scotland . who serviced it the local boatyard :ahappy:

that reminds me, not to buy any old vfr 's in Scotland . who serviced it the local boatyard :ahappy:

Tha main Honda dealership who I have know for over 30 years. Nothing wrong with the bike but new oil will be used this year.

Anyway our engine oil in Scotland gets recycled and sent down south just like our drinking water :bye:

Edited by GBH
Tonyj

ha ha ha

Tha main Honda dealership who I have know for over 30 years. Nothing wrong with the bike but new oil will be used this year.

Anyway our engine oil in Scotland gets recycled and sent down south just like our drinking water :bye:

ha ha, whether it needs it or not .( note to self don't get into a conversation about oil with a Scotsman, you know how touchy they can get.think its the perma frost) and don't mention russ abbott :ahappy:

• Like 1