Mechanics and bonuses

DMB

A friend of mine had an extremely powerful Kawasaki and took it to the main dealer for a service.  Afterwards he took it for a fast blast up the local dual carriageway.  Coming onto the slip road he braked for a corner and the front brake pads fell out.  The mechanic had forgotten to fit the retaining pins.  Luckily my friend was able to stop the bike with the rear brake but it was a close call.

Speaking to a fellow Forum member at the Sussex meet in Forest Row in January I was appalled to learn that mechanics can receive bonuses based on the time in which they complete various jobs.  For example, if the factory manual says that the typical time for replacing front pads is twenty minutes and the mechanic completes the job in, say, fifteen, he/she gets bonus points.

It is blindingly obvious to me that any such bonus scheme carries with it a great risk that things will be missed or corners will be cut.

On principle I would boycott any garage that operated such a bonus scheme.

How widespread are bonus schemes and does anyone else feel the way I do?

• Like 1
trisaki

Most car dealerships run this scheme / as a one man band I don't at my bike Wshop in west sussex/ if anything I take longer because I clean pistons and grade up sliders etc

Guest Peterpoddy

A time bonus sounds a bit iffy to me, and a bit far fetched. I can't imagine any reputable dealer wanting jobs done faster as that can only lead to problems.

I'm a bicycle mechanic and I AM on a bonus scheme, but it's entirely turnover related and as I have more time then work, generally, I never ever rush things.

Guest bonekicker

The last service I had done on NC was 8000 miles--I waited for it to be done--the mechanic came for bike at the front of garage --I waited up stairs lounge--free coffee !!! after 10 mins the mechanic took a test ride--came back--bike was washed  even though I had said no need to wash it because you have dropped the price down--so waited another 25 mins--for job card to appear --that's so much sir--I had brought some chocolate biscuits for the lads break --and said to the mechanic was my bike ok--which one? he said--the white one with the top box--cant remember--it's the 5th bike I have done this morning--It was only 10.15am --what time do you start? I asked? 8.30am---Of course they are on a bonus scheme and look at the maths of all the services put together.

I am well aware all dealers do not rush servicing--but some do--and make as much money out of it as possible--it's the way of the world. :baby:

nabrU

Not a good time to hear that - I'm booked for my first yearly on 11 April at Norton Way Honda for 150 quid. We'll see...

Edited by Radarman
nabrU

Michael, I have around 4200 miles on the clock. Let's assume it would be 4500 at the time of service. Obviously it's a lot of money for just an oil and filters and maybe some checks (that I doubt). So the only thing that keeps me accepting this price is that stamp in the service book. I'm aware that for warranty purposes it can be done by any garage assuming genuine Honda parts would be used.

Not good to hear at all but not altogether surprising in this day and age of maximising the bottom line........

Is guess Hubert's service is at 1 year ( or 8000 miles, whichever comes first).

Colin

• Like 1
nabrU

Colin, spot on.

Michael, PM sent