Advice needed: exhaust sealing material

Guest Stephen S

Guest Stephen S

My new Ixil silencer fits over the main exhaust, but there is a problem.

The stock silencer has a graphite seal between it and the exhaust, about 3mm thick and 30mm wide.

I can chip this off with no difficulty.

I think I need a replacement "interface" between slip-on silencer and exhaust to prevent them welding themselves together. They are a tight push fit.

What material (paste, seal, etc) would you recommend for this purpose?

Thanks all, and Happy Easter to you all.

Guest Carl_L

I know little about the pros & cons of different materials but, when I fitted an aftermarket (British-made, can't remember the make) silencer to my Guzzi, the manufacturer's recommendation was a straightforward domestic (heat-resistant) silicone sealant.

Of course, me being me, I completely ignored them (I'd bought some exhaust-fitting cement whilst waiting for the courier & wasn't worried about swapping silencers at M.O.T. time as the new one was road-legal). The thought of using silicone sealant does however, in hindsight, make a sort of sense to me.

Sure others will be along with more detailed & more helpful answers after they've finished their eggs.

embee

It seems wrong, but regular silicone sealant works. It shouldn't, but it does.

Tonyj

It seems wrong, but regular silicone sealant works. It shouldn't, but it does.

you can also do the bath with it
  • Like 1
Guest dentonlad

Can you still get "Gun Gum"? I used to use that as an exhaust gasket on every car I ever owned in the 80's and 90's.......

Edited by dentonlad
Guest bonekicker

Steve have a look on Halfords site --don't buy from there they are too expensive --but just for info--as Keith say Gun Gum is what we use on cars or did use--there will be some new products that will do the same job. :thumbsup: