Rear Bearing

ncmf

Hi

There is a little play in the rear wheel. Its about 1mm. I assume that it is the bearing, is it safe to ride? I cant do it myself but i recon i could find somewhere within about 20 miles.

embee

Any play felt in wheel bearings of the type fitted to bikes needs to be checked before I'd say it was safe to ride even a short distance. There really shouldn't be any detectable play.

If it's the bearing itself which is worn, it might be safe to ride slowly to a repairer, but it's possible the bearing has tightened up and spun in the housing (someone recently reported this happening on an NC so it can occur) in which case it should definitely not be ridden (risk to the rider plus more possibly catastrophic damage).

There has been a number of reports of what I'd consider premature rear wheel bearing failures on NCs, my suspicions are to faulty assembly, usually through loading the bearing itself during pressing in which can indent the races ("Brinelling"). These bearings are pretty robust and used in many bikes, and properly installed they ought to last much longer than the typical 25k miles at which failures have been reported.

Out of interest what is your mileage and when was the bike made?

• Like 2
bazza

Any play felt in wheel bearings of the type fitted to bikes needs to be checked before I'd say it was safe to ride even a short distance. There really shouldn't be any detectable play.

If it's the bearing itself which is worn, it might be safe to ride slowly to a repairer, but it's possible the bearing has tightened up and spun in the housing (someone recently reported this happening on an NC so it can occur) in which case it should definitely not be ridden (risk to the rider plus more possibly catastrophic damage).

There has been a number of reports of what I'd consider premature rear wheel bearing failures on NCs, my suspicions are to faulty assembly, usually through loading the bearing itself during pressing in which can indent the races ("Brinelling"). These bearings are pretty robust and used in many bikes, and properly installed they ought to last much longer than the typical 25k miles at which failures have been reported.

Should wheel bearings be greased at service? Or are they supposed to be sealed and greased for life. I seem to have read about swinging arm bearings on NCs that were short of grease but the old grease nipples seem to be absent on most bikes now.

bazza the puzzled

it was 41 on the rear failure.

I had a (front one I think) go on a previous NC700S after somewhere under 20.

I needed the bike in a hurry today, and Dirt Bike Center Dunstable supplied and fitted for me in this morning whilst I waited, after (slowly) riding down there in person, what a lovely bunch, ill be back there!

• Like 2

Not far from where I live. I've made a note of their address in case of emergency. Thanks Mike.

Do you know the mobile chap in Hemel?  He gave me his card once when he was sent out by the AA to me for a puncture, but i've lost it now.  Also very handy to know.

This is the only mobile mechanic I've used

http://www.optiflowuk.com/

Don't know of any actually based in Hemel although Adam did say that he covers the area. Good bloke.

Thanks, thats useful.  I had a look for the bloke that helped me last time, but cant find him, but actually there are quite a few of in Hemel that I didnt know about, e.g. Palmers on Redbourn road are a Motorcycle garage and MJW in Bovingdon does motorcycles too.  Handy as I am moving to Hemel.