Coolant leak from pump

Guest crofty1984

Guest crofty1984

Hello all, what it says on the thread title really. I noticed a bit of a leak today. Upon investigation it seems to be coming from the back of the water pump assembly. Interestingly, it didn't seem to be coming from the gasket. Has anyone else had this? What was the solution?

Dan

Not sure how to add photos.

embee

It could be from the bypass hose, that goes from the thermostat housing to the back of the coolant pump. I think it uses worm drive clips, could be it needs a slight nip, but don't overtighten.

embee

Just to add, the bypass hose goes on where it says E18

E_11.jpg

• Like 2
Guest Southerner

Hello all, what it says on the thread title really. I noticed a bit of a leak today. Upon investigation it seems to be coming from the back of the water pump assembly. Interestingly, it didn't seem to be coming from the gasket. Has anyone else had this? What was the solution?

Dan

Not sure how to add photos.

Under warranty?

Guest crofty1984

Thanks for all the advice! I'll start with the easy things first and tighten the hoses. I'll keep an eye on the coolant level as well.

Southerner - unfortunately no warranty, 3 years old now.

Oh, by way of exchange, it's really hard to read the level in the coolant bottle, but if you shine a torch/one of those flat LED lamp things into it from underneath it all lights up and really helps. :)

michael

I sincerely hope for you it's merely the hose.

While not trying to be an alarmist, doesn't weeping from the pump in automotive examples, mean the pump seals are beginning to fail?

embee

... doesn't weeping from the pump in automotive examples, mean the pump seals are beginning to fail?

It might be, though I haven't heard of any pump seal leak problems on the NC. There's almost always a "tell tale" hole between coolant and oil sealing on a bolt-up type pump like the NC, so if the coolant seal does leak it can escape out of the hole, relieving pressure, avoiding cross contamination, and it lets you know there's a leak! I guess the NC pump has a tell-tale in the bottom, but I've not looked.

It just happens that it has the bypass hose on the back, and the OP said leaking from behind the pump, so a definite possible.