300 miles and the chain's rusty.

Guest Burmabaines

Guest Burmabaines

Hello all.

I've had my brand new 750s since mid March and I've done 300 miles on it. I noticed a couple of weeks ago the chain has quite a lot of rust on it already. Should I have lubed it when I got it? I assumed it already would be .  Should I have cleaned it after a ride out?  I have some dry o-ring lube on the way but I was wondering if this was normal.  My last bike was shaft driven so I'm new to chain maintenance.

Edited by Burmabaines

It should have been covered in lube on delivery. But you also need to lube the chain regularly. The handbook usually says to check at every pre ride inspection along with checking for slack.

I didnt lube mine immediatly but I do lube it when I come in after every ride (if I remember ) I use castrol racing chain lube in an aerosol ,( other makes are available). Some people have installed chain lube systems if you search for the threads on them. It is best to apply after a ride when the chain is warm. If you apply some now the rust will go just give the chain a good spray.

Guest bonekicker

Bainsy you need to oil chain every time you come back from ride--put on centre stand --cover tyre--and spray from inside away from tyre whilst turning wheel--4 or 5 times later you will have no rust--you may have to use a oily rag to help get some rust off-- use any maintenance spray not fancy chain spray. :thumbsup: 

Guest simon

I have Scottoiler on my bike so I don't have to worry. When I did manual chain lubing I did it every 500 miles (not after every ride, as that would be overkill). That said, I would use the bike most days - so you might want to oil it every 500 miles of if you are not using the bike for any length of time. If you over-lube you'll end up splattering oil all over the place.

Bainsy you need to oil chain every time you come back from ride--put on centre stand --cover tyre--and spray from inside away from tyre whilst turning wheel--4 or 5 times later you will have no rust--you may have to use a oily rag to help get some rust off-- use any maintenance spray not fancy chain spray. :thumbsup: 

+1

michael

I'm with the group on this, oil is good. frequent oil is good.

A little oxidation on the surface of the chain doesn't really concern me, as it can develop pretty quickly in certain atmospheric conditions. Such as the humid west coast of canada and likely in your area as well. 

I'm more concerned there's sufficient lubrication in the pins behind the seals, which of course exterior oiling or lubrication doesn't affect.

Lubrication on the exterior reduces the sinister wear between links, and sprockets.

Isn't that the 11th Commandment? Go therefore, lubricate.

Guest bonekicker

:angel: Good old Bible Bike Maintenance is good--and Good for the Soul---WD40 I'm a Believer--Yes I Am--You All F******* Know I Am :angel:   

Guest scrumpymike

Even if you use an aerosol lube, you may still occasionally get a bit of surface rust on the side of the links. Best way I've found to get rid of it when it appears is to brush lightly over the corroded areas with an old paint brush (1/2" is ideal) dipped into a small quantity of ACF-50. The rust just disappears before your eyes and you need hardly any of the magic fluid - I spray a tiny bit into the small plastic container that I keep the 'dirty' brush in. Of course, this works on any other bare metal surfaces on the bike too. Having said all that, after many years I've become a late convert to the auto oilers like Scottoiler or Tutoro and I'm going to fit one as soon as my stock of spray-on chain lube is used up.