BAttery help please

Guest giventohyperbole

Guest giventohyperbole

So I've been on holiday for a couple of weeks and the bike hasn't moved, I came back planning a nice wee ride today. 

I stupidly turned the ignition on without starting the bike and went and had a chat with my friendly neighbour. I came back and the bike won't start!!! 

Any help on what I should do about getting some charge to battery. I don't own a charger of any sorts - do I need to go buy one?

All help gratefully received by this imbecile! 

Guest Carl_L

In theory, you can use jump leads. I've never risked it on a modern bike, though, as I know too little about modern bike electrics. Hold tight for some expert advice before trying.

If you regularly leave your bike standing, it's worth investing in a smart charger anyway. One that 'does the job' can be had for < £14.

If, like me, you own more than one bike & want something you can use on the car, CTEK do one (called MXS 5.0 or something like that) which has an AGM option (the NC has an AGM battery, > £140 to replace) so it's the best option to maintain your battery at it's peak.

The Optimate 4 fan base has reached critical mass, though, so I'll no doubt be shouted down shortly.

Guest miguelsanchez666

Get yourself Oxford smart charger. It's about £38 and comes with nice lead with socket. I have run it from battery through bottom of the frunk to the side of the bike. If I need to charge it I just simply plug it in.

Guest bonekicker

Glenn batteries go flat at the most inconvenience times and the reason is still unknown--I have a  

Oxford Oximiser 900 Anniversary Edition 

from Ghost Bikes and it was cheaper in the shop than online.

Guest mrgrumpy2

You'll be OK with a jump start, when I've needed to jump start the bike I leave the car turned off.

A cheap trickle charger can help prevent happening again.

Guest giventohyperbole

That's the bike going, with a charger lead connected and tucked away for the next time.  

The helpful folks at J&S had an old Hein Gericke performance charger that did the job (half price too! - good for a tight Scotsman) 

Thanks again for all the advice. 

stephenmcg

when my 700X was under 1 year old, it would not start one Monday but bike had been used daily most of previous week.

I took battery out and took it back to dealers. They tested it, said it was faulty and gave me another under warranty.

I fitted it and had no problems since. This year it was un-driven for a couple of months over Xmas and it started 1st time.

SMcG in Glasgow