Back disc brake

Guest Lenp

I had the NC 750x on the main stand spinning the back wheel, when I heard the disc touching the brake pad every time it was spinning in the same spot,,,,any recall on a warped rear disc...Ride Safe..

Guest John_Minus_600

I'm not sure about recalls but I've had the same thing on a couple of bikes, as yet not the NC. For me it's always been transfer from the pad on the disk and nothing to worry about. Apparently I've developed a nasty habit of clamping the back brake on at the lights...  :bye:

embee

The service manual states the max runout measured with a dial indicator on the side face of the disc is 0.3mm, which is quite a bit. Remember that you need only a fraction of runout to get the intermittent touching you are describing. If concerned have it measured.

• Like 1
trisaki

Give the caliper a bit of TLC/ clean piston and pads and lube the floating pins put back together and bleed / you're find it feels much better and probably won't be touching

Guest Carl_L

Give the caliper a bit of TLC/ clean piston and pads and lube the floating pins put back together and bleed / you're find it feels much better and probably won't be touching

Yup, good advice & quite a pleasurable job on a sunny day, when you're not pushed for time. No need to bleed ahead of time though IMHO.

In the meantime, give it a few hard uses. Doesn't have to be quite up to bedding-in procedure but that sort of thing.

I've got a couple of Italian bikes with Brembos & regularly have to go for hard use on the rears to keep them feeling right.

P.S: No need to spend good money on brake cleaner unless they're in a bad way. A spray bottle with plain water & a toothbrush sorts them out.

Edited by Carl_L
Derek_Mac

I had the NC 750x on the main stand spinning the back wheel, when I heard the disc touching the brake pad every time it was spinning in the same spot,,,,any recall on a warped rear disc...Ride Safe..

If you think the disk is warped get your dealer to check it for you.

I got told my rear disk was warped just before the warranty expired, Honda replaced it FOC.

michael

No pulsing when actuating the rear brake only? 

Call me a Luddite, yet I've always used the tangible pulse as my guideline rather than a calliper or gauge. If it pulses when braking, then there's a problem. 

Of course i readily admit, braking is like oil and tire choices. So many variables! :ermm:

embee

Edit,

Ooops, wrong post. Nothing to see here ................

Edited by embee
  • 3 weeks later...
kharli

Upon researching car warped discs ,the main culprit is leaving your brakes on after coming to a stop from some very heavy braking from high speed causing uneven cooling of the disc...a common problem on powerful Mercedes...not sure if it would apply to motorcycles but its a thought

Guest Carl_L

Upon researching car warped discs ,the main culprit is leaving your brakes on after coming to a stop from some very heavy braking from high speed causing uneven cooling of the disc...a common problem on powerful Mercedes...not sure if it would apply to motorcycles but its a thought

Unlikely to be a problem on a motorcycle rear brake for the average road rider.

Personally I think that theory is internet 2+2=5 anyway. The problem with holding brakes on after hard (track) use is more likely to be a 'footprint' of pad material cooking onto the disc, causing perceived run-out & then building up due to a 'snowball' effect unless followed by more hard use.

Edited by Carl_L