Frunk lock recall done, and new tyres arranged

fred_jb

fred_jb

Took my bike into my dealers, Grantham Honda, today for them to do the recall work on the frunk lock.   The very helpful guy on the service desk pointed out that the back tyre was very worn, which I was aware of, but I hadn't thought it was quite ready for replacement.  Anyway, he offered to arrange the warranty replacement of the tyres with my preferred Michelin PR4s, so I'm very happy with that.   He said he has recently arranged the same for someone else which I suspect is Andy from Leicester, otherwise known here as Normsthename.

Incidentally, I worked out a back roads route between home and the dealer with the route going past Belvoir Castle.  Lovely countryside, lots of entertaining bends, and some good straights too, hardly any traffic, with the only real hazard being suicidal pheasants.  Was able to cut out all but a couple of miles of the main roads, and completely avoided the local bottleneck otherwise known as Melton Mowbray, so had a very nice ride in both directions.

Fred

• Like 1
Guest robin

I've just arrange another pair of tyres from Honda, with my Dealer but they have specified Pirelli Scorpion Trails.  I live Michelins but will look forward to trying Pirelli.

Guest bonekicker

Fred and Robert how come some dealers let you pick which brand they will replace under warranty and others just say this is the brand you are having?? :ermm:

Confused from Preston.

OK as Per F******* usual !!! :baby:

Guest miguelsanchez666

Guys, What was the tread depth when you arranged your replacement? I've got to get my one sorted soon but still have about 3mm of tread

fred_jb

I'm not sure why there seemed to be no problem having my own choice of replacements, but I'm very pleased about it.   I told them I wanted a full road tyre, as I believe the Pirelli Scorpions are still compromised as they are described as dual sport with off road capability, though they don't seem to have a problem with premature wear. As far as I am concerned the NC is a pure road bike - and I certainly have no intention of taking it off road.

I couldn't find any technical information which would indicate that the the Scorpions have multiple rubber compounds as many of the pure road tyres do, for example the PR4s have a harder compound in the centre to prevent the tyre squaring off and softer compounds on the less often used sides for optimum cornering grip.  From the reviews I read the PR4s also have better wet grip than most other tyres which is a great safety feature, and the main reason I put them on my previous bike, a Honda CrossRunner.

Below are a couple of pictures of the current state of the rear Dunlop on my NC, at just under 1800 miles.  The tread is OK at the edges of the tyre, but is almost gone in places in the centre.

Fred

A6K-3047129-2090-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-2090-2-X2.jpg

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1
bikerbampi

I managed 2000 miles on my Dunlops when they were changed for Pirellis. The Dunlops were down to the wear bars.

Haven't had the recall for the frunk lock, but have not had a problem at all with it so far.

Edited by bikerbampi
Guest miguelsanchez666

That's very helpful Fred and Hubert. I've done 1600 miles on my ones but would love to get them replaced before some proper touring.

Guest divetrucker

On the subject of suicidal pheasants...I was following a bus down a country road the other day, when it drove over an already-dead pheasant corpse. I was suddenly engulfed in what I can only describe as a "feather storm" being dragged along in the wake of the bus! Very glad I had my visor closed!! Feathers everywhere...