Will an NC drain the battery if left to stand?

Guest John B
Go to solution Solved by chris,

Guest John B

I am looking for a bike (the smallest I can find which can handle a bit of two-up touring). NC is on the list, as is the Guzzi Breva 750. I have read that if you leave a Guzzi to stand for two weeks, it probably won't start, unlike a small Japanese car, which will start. My bike will be left to stand without a trickle charger. Does anyone know if the NC (or any Honda), will normally have a problem with starting after being left unused for a few weeks?

Edited by John B

I left mine in the garage for nearly 4 weeks over the Christmas period as I was unable to use it, started first time no problems. no sign of any sluggishness at all. Depends though if you were to have any accessories fitted that may be a drain on the battery. But for the cost the optimate charger (other makes available) would be worth investing in.

• Solution

Normally no problems. I travel for work and am away for weeks at a time but the bike has always fired up when I got back, even after a couple of months. I did once find the battery completely dead. Never really found the cause and never had a repeat. Only thing I can think of was I pressed the hazard flasher switch just before I put it away to see if it worked with ignition off - it didn't but the relay might still have been live and let the battery drain. I've no power in the garage so can't leave a battery tender on normally - only when I take the battery out for the winter.

Chris

Rocker66

If you are looking for the smallest possible bike suitable for 2 up touring have you considered the CB500X?

Guest Carl_L

A new NC could handle being stood for months on end. It's a budget bike in many respects & Honda have kept costs down where they can - but the battery is not an area where they have skimped, they've used the very best.

However, don't believe everything you hear about Guzzis, I've got a 1200 Sport & it's never missed a beat. Battery has lasted 7 years but now needs replacing.

The only thing I would say about anything in the Piaggio group though is that, if you do need spares, they can keep you waiting - not a good single bike option if you rely on it for commuting etc. & bad luck strikes.

Edit P.S: Also need to add that Ducatis & Guzzis (& some other marques) don't always suit muppets like me - they have a parking light option which comes on if you turn the key fully anti-clockwise. Easy to catch you out if you're not used to this set-up (guess how I know)

Edited by Carl_L
Guest John B

If you are looking for the smallest possible bike suitable for 2 up touring have you considered the CB500X?

Yes. Attractive idea too, though who knows if they will do the reliable high miles of the old CB500s.

Guest John B

However, don't believe everything you hear about Guzzis, I've got a 1200 Sport & it's never missed a beat. Battery has lasted 7 years but now needs replacing.

People do seem to have fewer problems with the big block Guzzis. Not sure I can handle one (only partly because the relatively wide tank impacts my hip problems).

nabrU

John,

My NC was as well in the garage for almost 3 weeks over Christmas. No probs with starting up at all.

Additionally I have my Oxford Premium Touring V8 heated grips fitted straight to the battery (as per their manual). I left them several times switched on (although they switch by itself after some time of inactivity when left on with ignition switched off) and even though bike fired up without hesitation.

Defender

My NC gets left for several months over the winter and starts first time without any trouble.

I'd have no worries about the NC on that front. When I looked at the battery, I was quite surprised how large it was.

• Like 1

In that case. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuasa-YTZ14S-Motorcycle-Batteries/dp/B009LH23FI

Same Battery, same spec, half the price.

The point being that there is a choice of how much one is willing or can pay.

I  admit that it is  nothing to do with the OP. but you posted regarding the NC battery.

Just saying like.....................:) 

Guest chickenflaps

my NC was left untouched for 12 weeks over the coldest of winter in an unheated garage.  Started first touch of the button as if it was just turned off.

Guest motorboy

Just read it you beat me to it