Chain tight spots - how to tell?

Guest equesta

Guest equesta

Hi All,

I know this is a total newbie question, but do you identify tight spots on a chain and that it needs replacing?

I've done about 5.5k commuter miles on my NC750X, and have an almost Lady MacBeth-like obsession with cleaning and lubing my chain.

The chain still runs reasonably smoothly and evenly on the sprockets, but when I try to manipulate the individual links, there's a little bit of friction to them - not seized, but not entirely loose either. This is consistent throughout the chain.

Is this a sign that it it's going? Or is it just the tension on the chain making them like that?

Many thanks in advance!

Guest bonekicker

Dan I have got a garage full of a product I keep telling members about and must let someone else tell you and also get some free samples from WD40--oh shit more free samples coming!!!!! :angel:

Tigertail

How to tell if you have tight spots?  Put bike on centre stand or paddock stand, spin back wheel while staring at chain.  If you notice any links that appear kinked as they leave the sprocket stop the wheel and hold the offending links between thumb and forefingers and apply pressure as if you were trying to snap a pencil - they should be loose, if they are stiff enough to hold the kink when you let go then they are getting stiff.  Not to worry if they still move by finger pressure, the time to worry is if you need to use two pair of pliers to bend them!  To treat the tight spots put down newspaper or rags to catch drips of excess oil and apply plenty of penetrating oil with a small soft paint brush (best done to a warm chain after a ride) and flex the links repeatedly to help work in the oil.  Leave to soak for several hours and try flexing them again.  Hopefully they will have freed off, if still exceptionally tight then repeat process several times.  There may be numerous tight spots and after several sessions of if this they are still more than finger stiff then its probably a good idea to consider replacing the chain or at least getting it looked at by a mechanic.

Hope this helps,

TT

• Like 1
Guest equesta

Many thanks Kev for the advice.

I was cleaning the chain over the weekend, the links still appear to be smoothly and evenly leave the sprocket as I was spinning the chain.

The links definitely still move under light finger pressure, just not totally freely - just thought this may have been considered "tight". But the way you describe it, don't think it is.

Many thanks again!

Tigertail

Don't think you have anything to worry about, mines only done 1200 miles and I have had a couple that only move under finger pressure when cold. They are OK after a ride though, definitely a cheap oem chain IMHO.

TT