Front brake pad shim

Crofty

Crofty

Hi

I have searched the forum to find the answer but can,t find it exactly. Changing out my front pads on the NC700x due to

long trip coming up I found a metal shim and white spacer on one pad.

The replacements don,t have this  ( Brenta ) and i wondered if they need to go back in with the new pads,but I don,t think there is enough room anyway with the pistons pushed back all the way.

Manual does,nt say anything about it so thought i would pick your brains to see what you do.

Guest bonekicker

Steve all the brains are out on location somewhere --But will return later I would think--hope you can wait--I'm not even having a guess on this one-- :thumbsup:

trisaki

Put new pads in without the add one / they are for genuine pads not after market / worth pulling the floating arms out and greasing

Crofty

Michael and Mark, thanks for the replies. No problem waiting, it is tipping it down here

It is what I thought,there is a thread that mentions them but did,nt resolve whether to put them back in or not.  

fred_jb

Steve all the brains are out on location somewhere --But will return later I would think--hope you can wait--I'm not even having a guess on this one-- :thumbsup:

Michael - if I'm supposedly one of the brains referred to, then I'm sorry to disappoint, but I don't really know the answer to this either!

Steve:  seems odd that there is only a shim on one of the pads and not its opposite number in the other side of the caliper.  The normal purpose of these is the reduce brake squeal, so if you don't get this with the new pads without the shim then there is unlikely to be a problem.  If you do fit the shim it is a good idea to smear a little Copaslip or similar between the shim and the metal back of the pad, making sure there is no excess which could get on the brake disk.

Fred

Edited by fred_jb
Exceledsteve

Steve, compare the thickness of the back plate of the old pads to your new ones. If the plate of the new ones are thicker than the original by approx. the thickness of the shim/spacer that will explain why the new ones won't fit with the shim/spacer added.

Plus one on the greasing of the caliper Pistons and copper slipping the rear of the back plate of the new pads.

fred_jb

Useful guide here:  http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2006/november/nov10-04-how-to-replace-your-brake-pads-/

They seem to recommend re-fitting the shims, but as Steve notes above you will have trouble doing this if the new pads have thicker backing plates (assuming the friction material is the same thickness as the OEM pads which I guess may not necessarily be the case).

Fred

Guest bonekicker

Fred yes I thought you may know--They do fit the shims on the cars I have had--but I was not going to say anything--about brakes in particular --but I did know you and other great members would  find out for Steve--he as been waiting patiently for a few hours and we have had several cups of tea--but ran out of biscuits.

Hope this info helps Steve---bed the new brake pads in.

Ride Safe and Enjoy your self. :thumbsup:

Crofty

I fitted them up and took it out for a 50 mile run to check things, went fine so will probably leave things as they are but will take the old pads with me on my tour. 

Thanks for all the advice