Filter set, oil

reedx

Curious about this one. I've just had my 600 mile service on my 750X DCT and one of the three part numbers listed was "15050-MCE-H51   Filter set,oil". I like to keep a set of common spare parts in the garage for my vehicles so added this one to my list and checked online to get a budget price. If you look at the following diagram it looks like it includes a filter cup wrench as well as the filter itself

20150506_nc750x_filter_set_oil.jpg

Surely dealers should just be charging for the filter itself, or if the charge does includes the cup wrench, assuming it's not disposable, then they should be handing it over to the vehicle owner for when/if they do their own servicing?

I'd be interested to find out what's listed on other first service parts invoices. Is this standard Honda information or am i getting my wire pulled?  :baby:

Colin 

michael

Huh.

While I have one of these sets (I change my own oil 9 times out of 10) I always thought a "filter set," included the filter itself and a crush washer for the drain plug…..

Guest bonekicker

Colin I think that's just the special tool to remove oil filter--you can usual untighten by hand---one thing I was annoyed about at my 600 service was a £7.23 environmental tax to dispose of oil and filter.   :ermm:

glencoeman

A filter set is the filter and tool - does not include the sump plug washer. As I have the tool already, I just buy the filter and the local Honda dealer gives me a new washer.

Guest Carl_L

Don't have my receipts to hand but sounds like a crafty way to nudge the price up.

You will probably get a survey invite from Honda shortly. This includes, perhaps tellingly, a question on whether you were satisfied with the parts prices - can't remember if there's an 'additional info' to allow you to provide details such as this.

Edited by Carl_L

The filter set (filter and removal tool) is £15.00 , the filter by itself is £11.50, and the drain plug washer is £0.71 (prices as at last night from Wemoto's OEM parts finder) - so we're not talking much money. It's more a principle thing. Why is the dealer charging for the tool they already have when they could just charge for the filter itself? I was just wondering if other members first service invoices showed the same i.e. is it Honda's system telling the dealers what parts they need for the service.

Colin

Tex

Until proven otherwise, I would just assume a genuine mistake on the part of the parts guy at the dealer. Go back and ask for either the tool, or a refund. No need to make a drama out of it, just ask for clarification.

Edited by Tex

A filter at Blackpool Honda for NC was £9--drain plug washer 50p--always look around--???

I would look around before buying. I was just using Wemoto's OEM parts search to get a rough idea of list price.

Colin

Guest Carl_L

Just looked at the receipt for my 2nd service & was charged for filter only, not kit. This was at a Honda dealer, so doesn't look like it's a Honda thing.

For info, my parts prices:

Oil, £8.00 * 3.2 = £25.60

Filter, £9.50

Washer, £0.95

Filter (clutch), £6.50

O-ring, £2.87

Sundry lubricants/cleaning, £2.50

Env. Disposal, £1.50

All + V.A.T.

Edited by Carl_L
glencoeman

I would suspect that most Honda dealers do not bother with the filter sets as they would only be one off sales as you would not buy the tool again once you had one.

matt28

Curious about this one. I've just had my 600 mile service on my 750X DCT and one of the three part numbers listed was "15050-MCE-H51   Filter set,oil". I like to keep a set of common spare parts in the garage for my vehicles so added this one to my list and checked online to get a budget price. If you look at the following diagram it looks like it includes a filter cup wrench as well as the filter itself

20150506_nc750x_filter_set_oil.jpg

Surely dealers should just be charging for the filter itself, or if the charge does includes the cup wrench, assuming it's not disposable, then they should be handing it over to the vehicle owner for when/if they do their own servicing?

I'd be interested to find out what's listed on other first service parts invoices. Is this standard Honda information or am i getting my wire pulled?  :baby:

Colin 

According to auction website, genuine service set contains:

Parts List: 1 x Oil Filter w/ Removal Tool 15010-MCE-H51, 1 x 12mm Sump Plug Washer 94109-12000,

1 x Air Filter 17210-MGS-D30

Just wondering; is that tool reusable? Or they dumping it into the bin every time after oil change :logik: ?

2qwoo0j.jpg

michael

re-usable. I have one of those tools and have used it innumerable times.

Seems to me the kit is designed for the home mechanic, as all i'm buying now is the filter and crush washer now that i have a niftier filter tool than i had before…..

• 1 year later...
Black Marauder

Anyone know the size of the oil sump drain plug/bolt M12 x 1.25 or M14 x 1.50 ? or other ? Want to replace the original with a magnetic type. 

glencoeman

Colin I think that's just the special tool to remove oil filter--you can usual untighten by hand---one thing I was annoyed about at my 600 service was a £7.23 environmental tax to dispose of oil and filter.   :ermm:

Never heard of a bike dealer charging for oil disposal. I would change it yourself from now. Don't believe the rubbish about your warranty being invalid if you do it yourself. As long as you use genuine filters etc and keep the receipts, they can't argue. However, as that is EU law, things may change in the future.

glencoeman

Anyone know the size of the oil sump drain plug/bolt M12 x 1.25 or M14 x 1.50 ? or other ? Want to replace the original with a magnetic type. 

M12 on my NC700. You can buy the alloy crush washers off that internet site for about £1.15 for 10 including delivery. Just order 12(internal)x20(external)x2(thickness).

• Like 1
usabikes

I fitted this to the S, might be of help to you:~ http://japan.webike.net/products/9711715.html

Black Marauder

Thanks for "all" the information & have ordered what is needed,plus some extra washers, also decided on a colour I could see easily !!

Guest sykospain

Why not simply buy the correct HiFlo or K&N filter instead ?  Each of those has a 17mm nut welded on top - so you don't need any kind of filter-wrench or cup-tool at all ?  Just a 17mm spanner, contained in your OEM toolkit.

The cheaper HiFlo code is 'HF 204 RC Racing'.

But anyway, surely changing oil & filters on a DCT is one little job you can do yourself in less than an hour, even if your bike doesn't have the essential ( to my mind ) centre-stand.

post-3793-0-80213000-1467283477_thumb.jpg

Edited by sykospain
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know here to buy the DCT clutch filter online without paying silly postage fees?

embee

Does anyone know here to buy the DCT clutch filter online without paying silly postage fees?

It's not of any help to you, but no. I have looked around in the past and not found anywhere, so just get them from any Honda dealership I happen to pass around the time I need one. Just to add that they are quite delicate items so risk damage in the post. Usually around £7-50 from a Honda dealer.

On that subject, since I have 2 Hondas with the same oil filter, I got a pack of 10 genuine Honda filters from a Honda dealer on that auction site, can't recall exactly what they cost but it was around £60 for 10 so a substantial discount versus individual items (and yes I have a shelf full of those filter tools in the workshop, usefully they also fit the filters on my Toyota).

Guest sykospain

Because the DCT gearbox filter is such a funny tiny little item, Honda dealers have it tied up I think - so yr dealer.

And remember that the end with the small rubber ring goes inwards. And don't drop into the drip-tray the little compression spring that goes in the outer-end hole !

post-3793-0-50342300-1468836282_thumb.jpg

A bit like the replacement BMW drive-belts on the F650 & later F800 bikes.  Exclusive sales, not permitted for 3rd party marketing. A depressingly ever-more-common trend in vehicle spare parts marketing.  So much for consumer rights.

A $50 USA-manufactured belt sold exclusively by BMW Motorrad for an outrageous 300 snoojits. A year ago on the Black Belt forum, a small rubber-components USA mfgtrer offered to make them but nobody would send him their used one !

Edited by sykospain