Oil

Guest Rama5

Guest Rama5

Stil having a problem with oil filling up in the crankcase breather tube any one else having this, dealer says will happen if bike ridden hard. Spoke to honda uk they said no reports of this... Phoned many other honda dealers at Radom all said no reports of this to any they have sold

Guest bonekicker

Murphy don't be fobbed off of course there is something wrong with your bike --or are they saying we have not any idea what is causing the problem :ermm:

Guest Rama5

Murphy don't be fobbed off of course there is something wrong with your bike --or are they saying we have not any idea what is causing the problem :ermm:

right spoke to dealer he said put standard can back on cant see that this is gona do anything as honda do the a akrapovic for the nc my can is a loe vince about the same will wait and see what honda uk comes back with

Guest dentonlad

It's usually a sign that there's too much oil in.

I can't see that riding hard or having an aftermarket can makes it happen. Were that the case I'd have oil everywhere.......

Derek_Mac

Murphy, have you checked that the oil level is ok and that the dealer didn't overfill it?

Edit: Oil level needs checked with the bike level, have a look at your manual.

Edited by Derek_Mac
  • Like 1
trisaki

Check oil first thing in the morning level ground dipstick wiped then laid on top not screwed in , if engine has been run for a very short time oil level should be roughly half way up after leaving to settle for a minute or so , if you have ridden it for a few miles leave to settle as above then oil may be close to max / make sense ?

Tigertail

Need some info for diagnosis.  Is the oil in the tube just normal oil colour and not milky/white? If it is a milky/white colour then water has gotten into it either through condensation in the cylinder head, ridden in heavy rain or jet washing around air cleaner intake. Worst case is coolant getting into cylinder head through faulty head gasket maybe (though this would also show as "Mayo" on dipstick as most of it would end up back in the sump). 

If the oil is normal colour and texture then it is likely caused by excessive oil pressure in cylinder head- check for overfilling.

Could also be caused by excessive or frequent high revs, I take it that you are not constantly bouncing it off the rev limiter or keeping it above 5-6000 revs for long periods?

Another possibility is bad valve seating/adjustment leading to overpressure in the cylinder head and blowing more than normal amounts of oil back into the air cleaner housing.  Dealer should do compression tests to check.

Finally it could be that the bike has been on it side at some point and some oil has drained into the air cleaner housing and possibly soaked the air cleaner element.  Dealer should inspect air cleaner and inside of housing.

That's all I can think of for now, if its within warranty then pressure dealer to sort it.

Hope this helps,

TT

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Each and every time a new issue arises--we get fobbed off by the dealer--we complain to Honda UK and get fobbed off--after all this messing about would you not think Honda would want to sort the problem out straight away and help prevent other bikes getting the very same problem !!! ??? They are really penny pinching--in a multi billion pound company.

Keep on at them--save all paperwork--right down names--dates-- times---keep calm and be as stubborn as there can be---and GOOD LUCK    :thumbsup:

Rocker66

Each and every time a new issue arises--we get fobbed off by the dealer--we complain to Honda UK and get fobbed off--after all this messing about would you not think Honda would want to sort the problem out straight away and help prevent other bikes getting the very same problem !!! ??? They are really penny pinching--in a multi billion pound company.

Keep on at them--save all paperwork--right down names--dates-- times---keep calm and be as stubborn as there can be---and GOOD LUCK    :thumbsup:

How come then there have been posts on this forum and the CB500X forums where owners have had a problem taken the bike to the dealers and got it sorted under warranty with no problem. Honda dealers even changed the alternators on CBF 1000s FOC well after the two year warranty. This was an official Honda UK instruction. This applied to all bikes up to seven years old

Again you tar all dealers with the same brush and will not admit that there are good as well as bad. Honda are not perfect but then what company is but your constant anti honda rants amazes me considering that you continue to buy their products

• Like 1
Guest Carl_L

Stil having a problem with oil filling up in the crankcase breather tube any one else having this, dealer says will happen if bike ridden hard. Spoke to honda uk they said no reports of this... Phoned many other honda dealers at Radom all said no reports of this to any they have sold

Tigertail has told you all you need to know. Not (trying to) be(ing) rude, but your post is a bit vague.

When you say 'filling up' is that really what you mean? Over what sort of mileage? Try capturing the oil & measuring it - it looks more than it is sitting in the drain tube.

How are you approaching dealer? If you firmly insist something's wrong, it's human nature for dealer to become entrenched & defensive. Try the worried customer approach:- "I'm sure it's probably OK but it's worrying me. Would you mind having a look to put my mind at rest?"

There are some simple tests the dealer can do to eliminate any nasties but you need to get them on your side.

Guest bonekicker

But they fobbed him off without sorting the problem again--the dealer should not have to contact Honda for permission to sort his customer's bike out--Honda do not make it easy at all for problems to be sorted-- with us making a fuss--I buy Honda bikes because I like them --I don't like the poor customer care at all--you have a good dealer--who again is a personal friend of yours --and that's why we have to fight to get problems solved--again you don't have too--so what's dealer basing about that?? and if I constantly amaze you --well --what can one say??? :baby:  

Rocker66

But they fobbed him off without sorting the problem again--the dealer should not have to contact Honda for permission to sort his customer's bike out--Honda do not make it easy at all for problems to be sorted-- with us making a fuss--I buy Honda bikes because I like them --I don't like the poor customer care at all--you have a good dealer--who again is a personal friend of yours --and that's why we have to fight to get problems solved--again you don't have too--so what's dealer basing about that?? and if I constantly amaze you --well --what can one say??? :baby:  

I became friends with the dealer by being a customer I didn't become a customer because he was a friend. Again you generalise by saying "Everytime" something which as my example about the CBF1000 proves is untrue.I'm sure Honda UK didn't decide on this action because I'm a friend of a dealer. How many bike firms change parts on bikes up to seven years old FOC? To my way of thinking that is GOOD customer service. I don't like my nearest dealer which is why I vote with my wallet and travel 25 miles to a better one. I don't patronise companies who give bad service which is why I would not buy a Yamaha however much I liked the bike. This was the case when I rode a friends XJR and really liked it. If it had been any other make I would have bought one but I didn't on principle.

I don't know your dealer so I can't judge (doesn't stop you judging ALL dealers though) so maybe they are bad dealers or maybe you negative attitude to them is the problem. it certainly can't help. I know when I was working that I would go a lot further to help a passenger if they spoke to me in a decent way.I realise that when you were working you were 100% perfect but sadly the rest of us are human ergo we don't please all the people all the time

Guest bonekicker

ALL IS NEVER MENTIONED--Because ALL would mean Your Great Dealer as well.  You once told us you went to school with the owner of the Dealership ??? Or am I just Wrong Again ???? :ermm:  

Rocker66

ALL IS NEVER MENTIONED--Because ALL would mean Your Great Dealer as well.  You once told us you went to school with the owner of the Dealership ??? Or am I just Wrong Again ???? :ermm:  

100% wrong. The owner of the dealership was the Saturday boy at Geoff Darryn M/Cs in Sandwich Kent where we used to buy our bikes and that is where we met him

You did say" each and every time which as I pointed out with the case of the CBF1000 is obviously not true"

Guest Rama5

The dealer has said now the original exhaust is back on run it round for another 2 weeks see if things settle down... I said I think your wrong but if that's how you want to go with it I will keep an eye on it.. He said you've got the best warranty why worry

Guest Rama5

Oil is norm not milky under max line, let oil out last night when put exhaust back on rode 14 miles to work all ready oil back in tube also fuel has gone down used to get 173 miles to reserve now 140 ish

Guest bonekicker

It's like going round and round in circles with you about the same thing over and over again--you say what you want and I say say what I want--I will not reply. :faceless:   

Rocker66

It's like going round and round in circles with you about the same thing over and over again--you say what you want and I say say what I want--I will not reply. :faceless:   

Well the next time you post something about me just ensure that you have your facts right. As to dealers I will continue to defend the good ones every time you attack them. if you or anyone have bad experiences  of a particular dealer and post about it that's fine. it's just the blanket criticism I object to

• Like 1
trisaki

Fuel consumption up / is it running rich because air filter box full of oil coz its been overfilled / check oil level as I have said in previous post

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rama5

Still got oil in pipe iam now losing power went flat out up against another 750x and mine could not stay with it mine used to rip up to 115 mph easy now lucky to get it to 92mph booked to go to dealers early june

Guest chicken george

Contaminated air filter? If the air filter is partially blocked, will the engine not draw more air through the crankcase breather? Just a guess.

Guest motorboy

Well lets cut the crap and get back to the problem   there are a few things that can cause this  oil level to high  worn rings letting blow by   pinched breather hose  being you said the oil is right  and the bike is near new not many miles I would have a hard look at the rubber hose's coming off the engine  and put the oil level at not more than half in the site glass

kharli

I didn't notice any reduction in mpg when I let my airfilter go to 24000 miles just slight lack of power and slightly less top end speed.

When new I had about 1/2 inch  oil in the tube after very hard long ride against the wind . Since then I have had no oil at all .(41000 miles) 

I also now would suspect a ring/seating defect causing excessive blowback. ..even possibly a bore defect. However the ring is most likely as it was `ok`  There is some evidence that the nikosil bore coatings ..or whatever  equivalent Honda call there low friction coating  can be defective in some cases ,especially combined with  using wrong fuel

Lots of anecdotal evidence that during the run in period the engine must be run hard for a while to get the piston rings to seat properly .

The lack of power you are experiencing indicates you problem is more than just a nuisance slight blowback.