Rear brake fluid tank screws seized.

Guest Bluepaul

Guest Bluepaul

Hi, picked up the new to me NC X and loving it.

Rear brake seemed very spongy, and on checking the level it was at the minimum.  So thought I would replace the fluid and bleed the system. When I removed the bolt holding the fluid tank there was a layer of crud over the cover. I washed/scraped this off to get at the cover screws. Both screws are set solid and won't move. If I force it anymore then I will probably strip the head.

Any ideas on how to ease them or failing that where to get a second-hand tank cheap (Honda want £100+ for it !!!)

Cheers  Paul

Tigertail

Apply some heat to the screw heads with a heat gun on low setting (careful not to melt the plastic) or a hairdryer.  When they are hot to touch use the right size JIS screwdriver.  The standard Honda toolkit screwdriver should fit if you have no other JIS bits.

Good luck!

TT

Guest bonekicker

You have always to use the correct sized screwdriver at all time--when there is corrosion you must spend time cleaning and spraying some WD40 or similar on --let it soak for a while--try to tighten first the try to undo --you must push onto screw driver as well as turning--if not it will slip and knacker the screw. :thumbsup:

Trev

As above on WD40 and/or low heat, you an also try giving the screwdriver a few taps with a light hammer, this often works to 'unstick' the thread but of course always use force appropriate to the size of the screw the delicate brake cylinder. If in doubt as to what is appropriate then don't use this method   :thumbsup:

Guest Carl_L

I always find brake reservoir screws the worst. Doesn't matter whether the bike was made in Japan, Italy, or anywhere else. They always seem to seize & are always made of cheese (I'm a poet & didn't know it!)

If you're really at a dead end & none of the other nuggets of sound advice above don't bring results, it may be worth getting a JIS impact driver.

If you've got a day or three to hang on, I'll try my JIS drivers on said screw to determine the correct size (sorry, I'm looking after my Dad at moment & tools & bike live at different places). Then, although pricey, you can pick up a JIS Impacta driver that's sure to do the trick - cheaper than a new reservoir!

Here's a link to the #2 size for info:

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/125941&Locale=en_GB

Rocker66

Impact driver certainly seems to be the answer if the heat & WD 40 don't work

Guest Bluepaul

Thanks, guys,

I'll get the hairdryer and wd40 out tomorrow and hopefully that'll work.  Fingers crossed.

Cheers  Paul

embee

I'll vote for Plusgas rather than WD40 too, it is a penetrating fluid not a water dispersant, it's made for the job. As Jonty03 says, apply and leave to soak overnight.

The biggest problem with those reservoir screws is that they are so small, any real persuasion will shear them off. Better to take more time and get them out if at all possible. Silicone grease when refitting will usually prevent this issue. If they get any brake fluid on them when someone has refitted them before it will absorb moisture and cause corrosion.

Good luck, take your time.