Cleaning your chain

cazmal

cazmal

I've had a look through the threads and there is plenty about lubricating the chain but little about cleaning it.

What do you use/recommend?

Tigertail

You'll probably get 20 people answering with 20 different products.  Personally I normally use Wurth brake & chain cleaner, if I'm out of that then good old WD40, others use paraffin.  Whatever you do DONT use petrol (ethanol in modern petrol will rot the rubber O rings).  Put down plenty of newspaper/rags to catch the overspill and don't use a highly abrasive Scotchbrite pad or steel brush or anything that would damage the rubber O ring seals, only a soft paintbrush or rag to work in the cleaner.  Once clean allow time to dry off before re-applying chain lube.

Hope this helps.

TT.

As you probably know, if you use a spray to grease your chain then you'll have to clean it, but if you use oil instead - wether it be by means of an auto oiler, a brush, etc- it will stay self cleaned and probably last longer.

• Like 2
michael

I'm using a Grunge Brush with great success.

url

No special "goo," just brush the excess, then lubricate.

Rocker66

Well that's 10% of the answers Tigertail forecast  :)

Guest equesta

I have a Lady MacBeth like obsession with chain cleaning.

I use Paraffin which is about £6 for 4 litres in a spray bottle and a v-shaped brush - it does the trick nicely. Quantity is good as it it will flush the gunk out properly.

Avoid any water-based detergents, as the grease-dirt will just smear all over everything, including the wheels, paintwork, hands, clothes, walls, pets, missus, etc.

Mikdent

WD40 chain cleaner and the wife's toothbrush. Lol.

• Like 4

Never clean it but thats just me. I can honestly say I dont in my opinion think that I have suffered an early chain fail or had to replace one early.

• Like 1
Guest NikiUK2003

I'm using a Grunge Brush with great success.

url

No special "goo," just brush the excess, then lubricate.

Got me one of these!!! Smiley face (still not working)

Guest Carl_L

I use my boyfriends hand!!! LOL

Not his tongue?

I know, I know, I know. Naughty step (again).

Seriously, I've never cleaned a chain in my life. I've never had to replace chain & sprockets on any bike I've owned more than once so it's never cost me personally. I do appreciate, though, that some people do much higher mileages than me & keep a bike for many years. More the exception than the rule though.

Tonyj

WD40 chain cleaner and the wife's toothbrush. Lol.

You don't wanna know what she cleans with your toothbrush :0)

• Like 2

Paraffin for me, and a paintbrush.

Did it on Saturday.

I also removed the front sprocket cover and left footrest to get rid of the greasy black gunk from the back of the engine, swing arm and the shock linkage.

It's been bugging me since I got the bike.

WD40, then cloth, then WD40. The rest is done by the oiler :)

Guest Pipjam

I use Bonekicker's recommendations.... I spray with WD40 or maintenance spray oil, then gently wipe with a lint free rag/cloth. Then spray a good helping of 3 in 1 and WD40 mix

I do this while the bike is on the centre stand and slowly spinning the wheel with my other hand.

Wipe off the excess. Remember to have an old towel or something on the ground to collect the droplets.

Again, gently wipe off the excess... Job done.

Do this as often as you can, it only takes a few minutes. Your chain will last you an age.

I initially used a brush similar to this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Motorcycle-Chain-Cleaning-Brush/dp/B00CJDCXZ6with a good chain cleaner and then just regularly repeat "Bonekicker's" recommendations.

The chain is just superb!!

Rocker66

All this makes me wish someone would produce another middle weight bike with shaft drive.If only Honda hadn't dropped the Deauville

• Like 1
Mike5100

Paraffin for me, and a paintbrush.

Did it on Saturday.

I also removed the front sprocket cover and left footrest to get rid of the greasy black gunk from the back of the engine, swing arm and the shock linkage.

It's been bugging me since I got the bike.

is removal easy?  ie 10 minutes?  If so, I might do that muyself

Mike

All this makes me wish someone would produce another middle weight bike with shaft drive.If only Honda hadn't dropped the Deauville

Having the oiler I had cleaned the chain 5-6 times for 15k kms. So it is once every two months of everyday commute. Is it too much?

Rocker66

Having the oiler I had cleaned the chain 5-6 times for 15k kms. So it is once every two months of everyday commute. Is it too much?

Still more maintenance than a shaft plus messing about filling and setting the oiler. Also shaft is much cleaner

Huskyteer

I was hoping the NC would be shaft before it appeared.

• Like 1
cazmal

Thanks for your many and varied replies folks.