SPEEDO PROBLEM FOLLOWING RECALL - ANYONE ELSE?

Guest torchy

Guest torchy

Hi All, my NC750XD has recently had its dashboard replaced following a recall. Before the change the speedo read +7% compared to my SatNav, and following the change now reads -7% (same SatNav, which I only use on non-local trips and therefore the problem is a particular concern locally especially as many around here have been prosecuted for 32 mph in a 30 mph limit as an example).

Has anyone else checked and had this problem?

ps I know I could use my SatNav locally but it's a pain taking it off and on (and it's not so easy to read), and the bike speedo should be sufficient.

Yes Officer, hop on the pillion and I'll show you it's reading wrong!  :unsure: 

Derek_Mac

Moan at Honda and your dealer, legally speedometers are not supposed to read under the actual speed you are doing.

Here's a quote from the Construction and Use Regulations for (motor) vehicles:

"2. For all true speeds up to the maximum design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed."

It's definately not a sprocket or tyre issue is it?

• Like 1
Guest torchy

Hi Derek, thanks. I have contacted Honda and the Dealer and am awaiting something positive.

Nothing else has changed on the bike which could give the negative result.

I see since posting that some have had two replacement dashboards, but I don't think their problem was as mine.

fred_jb

Hi All, my NC750XD has recently had its dashboard replaced following a recall. Before the change the speedo read +7% compared to my SatNav, and following the change now reads -7% (same SatNav, which I only use on non-local trips and therefore the problem is a particular concern locally especially as many around here have been prosecuted for 32 mph in a 30 mph limit as an example).

Has anyone else checked and had this problem?

ps I know I could use my SatNav locally but it's a pain taking it off and on (and it's not so easy to read), and the bike speedo should be sufficient.

Yes Officer, hop on the pillion and I'll show you it's reading wrong!  :unsure: 

I usually judge my vehicles against those flashing speed warning signs that tell you how fast your are going.  With my car the speedo reads about 3 mph over the speeds indicated on such signs, and does so consistently for different signs, so I'm assuming they are all calibrated similarly.   The bike reads only 1-2 mph over the signs, and I haven't noticed any change in this since I had my instrument panel replaced.

It is worrying if you suspect your speedo is under reading, and as already noted this is not legal.  I wonder if your replacement panel is calibrated for a different NC model with different gearing?  Not sure if such differences exist though.

Fred

Guest torchy

Hi Fred, yes the same thought had occurred to me. Dual clutch model has different gearing to single clutch in 1st, 2nd, 6th and also primary/secondary ratio, but I would have expected any difference to be in the sender/electronic processing rather than the head - but I'm only guessing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest torchy

Well, I've had another dashboard fitted.  Honda wanted the Dealer to ride my bike alongside another one.

Result - mine 30 mph, other 33 mph.  Now mine reads 31 mph when the SatNav reads 30 mph. Sorted! Good old Honda!

Guest torchy

ps - meant to add for reference that single and double clutch dashboards are different due to the gear indication on the double.  Thanks all for your interest. I think the C & U Regs may have helped.