8000 mile Service + Repairs.

frazer99

frazer99

Hi Folks,

My chain and sprocket were end of line after just 7700 miles so though i'd get that sorted and get the 8000 mile service done at the same time. The list of jobs kept on coming so it ended up being:

8000 mile service

Replace sprockets and new chain.

New rear wheel bearings - these have failed at just 7700 miles - plenty of play and rusted up.

Replace the screws on the lower cowl so I can actually remove it as these had rounded off.

Repair the right hand heated grip which had stopped working.

Fit Acerbis hand guards.

Decided not to go to Honda in the end. Just the local guy down the road. Total bill was:

Service = £168 (£38 parts and £130 labour)

Repairs/replacement parts = £192 (£122 parts and £70 labour).

Cheers,

Frazer

Guest bonekicker

Blinking eck !!!! Did you not try to claim from Honda for sprocket-chain-wheel bearings and the service cost was just a little high--but only my opinion.

And being tight of course--no careful with limited budget.

Edited by bonekicker
TheEnglishman

About right for a decent service.  Quite why people think a service is just a matter of changing the oil is beyond me.

Guest Koolbikegirl

Id have been horrified about chain, sprocket and wheel bearings at only 7700 (mostly coz im only at 5700 and havent budgeted for all that!) is that normal?

the service seems ok to me ive been quoted £130 at Honda in Peterborough including parts. I wouldnt have been surprised at £168. My very local bike shop has an offer of £99 without parts.

Guest Southerner

I've said this before, but I expect my BMW 5 Series to be cheaper to maintain and service over the first three years of my NCX ownership. 

Tigertail

Id have been horrified about chain, sprocket and wheel bearings at only 7700 (mostly coz im only at 5700 and havent budgeted for all that!) is that normal?

the service seems ok to me ive been quoted £130 at Honda in Peterborough including parts. I wouldnt have been surprised at £168. My very local bike shop has an offer of £99 without parts.

Chain, sprockets and wheel bearings should be a warranty claim if within the two years, they should last more than double that mileage, especially wheel bearings.  However, the dealer would almost certainly question whether they have been looked after properly (and I'm not for one moment suggesting that Frazer hasn't looked after his as I know there is a history of Honda fitting cheap chains and not packing the wheel bearings with enough grease), jet washing around the rear sprocket and rear wheel axle and not lubing the chain regularly could easily account for these faults.

Definitely not normal wear & tear, just look at all the other threads on servicing costs, etc.

TT.

frazer99

Hi folks, my bike is three years old. I bought it last year when there was only a month or two left on the warranty. At the service, the garage asked me whether I powerwashed the bike (which I don't) and whether it was kept outside and ridden in the winter. The bike is always garaged overnight and I was out of the country over winter so it was SORN'd from Nov - March. He was surprised at the bearings - so was I and I also was expecting much more from the chain/sprockets. At least the bike is now sorted and I must say feels much better to ride. I thought i'd share my experience to help/inform others.

Cheers,

Frazer

Guest Koolbikegirl

Thank you for sharing Frazer, its great to hear the bike feels better for you now and to my mind that confidence is worth a load of money! i find everyone's experiences really useful because im a very new biker, im having to learn about what maintenance i can do myself and what i need to leave to  a so called expert, its so difficult when i dont understand some of it and if they are telling me porkies or the truth so posts like yours help me enormously!

im nearing the 8000 mile service. my bike had 1450 mileage before it was changed and before i bought it and now on the mileage reads just over 4000.  recently i rode it the 2 hours back to Lincoln where i bought it for him to have a good look as id been in Portugal with the bike for winter and i was nervous about looking after the chain tyres etc and the good news was he was surprised how good it all looked. yes it was an extra serve not really required but it gave me confidence that i hadnt done any damage and as i said,  i think that confidence is worth a load!

now im busy trying to find somewhere really local to get the 8000 mile service done as i need to walk back to my house (then walk to collect it) when i leave the bike. 

safe riding all!

Defender

I have an MOT & 8000 mile service on the horizion, it was serviced towards the end of June last yea