are your pipes tight?

Mike5100

Mike5100

Noticed a whiteness on the nearside of the bike in various nooks and crannies of the engine and realised it looked like lime out of hard water.  quite a crust was around the junction of the rubber pipe where it attaches to the radiator (top near side of bike).  I got a tiny socket on the jubliee clip and it tightened quite a lot before it seemed to bite, so I'm hoping that's all it was.  The green fluid in the tank is just below the lower limit so I'm going to need to top that up and I guess it means I haven't lost much.

Worth keeping an eye on though - I can't imagine that the dealer will have touched those pipes at PDI or 8000 service so my guess is that it wasn't tightened properly at the factory.

Slightly worried though that the water used to dilute the antifreeze seems not to have been distilled water or is there some other explanation for the white crustiness?

Mike

Guest bonekicker

The white crustiness is caused by a leaking hose--I don't think they use distilled water in cooling system and would it make a difference ? I know the white crustiness on a battery was cause by the acid fumes and you got rid of it by pouring boiling water over it --then drying and grease  :thumbsup:

Derek_Mac

If the radiator and its metal pipes were made of aluminium the white crustiness could possibly be aluminium oxide, doubtful though.

Slowboy

Noticed a whiteness on the nearside of the bike in various nooks and crannies of the engine and realised it looked like lime out of hard water.  quite a crust was around the junction of the rubber pipe where it attaches to the radiator (top near side of bike).  I got a tiny socket on the jubliee clip and it tightened quite a lot before it seemed to bite, so I'm hoping that's all it was.  The green fluid in the tank is just below the lower limit so I'm going to need to top that up and I guess it means I haven't lost much.

Worth keeping an eye on though - I can't imagine that the dealer will have touched those pipes at PDI or 8000 service so my guess is that it wasn't tightened properly at the factory.

Slightly worried though that the water used to dilute the antifreeze seems not to have been distilled water or is there some other explanation for the white crustiness?

Mike

The dealer might have loosened this if they checked the valves to allow them to swing the rad out of the way. The white rustiness is probably just the residue of dried out coolant mix
Mike5100

Good point Brian.

Mike