Chain grease on bike at delivery

rjp996

rjp996

Just been out and checked my chain at 3,200 miles - it's still within spec for tension and looking much like it did when delivered. My question is when it was delivered new it had a light white / silver grease over the chain - very very sticky. In the 3,200 miles the chain and the grease all looks much as it was at delivery. Ive sprayed some chain wax on it (more because I had bought some and wanted to try it out than anything else). Does anyone know what the grease would be as it looks to have good staying power.....

Steve Blackdog

Are you saying you haven't had to lube your chain in 3,200 miles?  If so, please find out what it is they put on it, as I'll have some.

My concern would be that there might be a void opened up under the top 'crust' of lube.  Why don't you wipe a bit off and see whether the lube is still penetrating/lubricating the O rings.

rjp996

yep - will have to see - no tight links yet...... i will let you know how it goes. Looks like the chain is lasting longer than my front tyre (front down at 2mm rear still 3.5-4mm - I assume I have a 'good' compound rear and one of the fast wearing fronts)