No chain/sprocket sets for NC750X-Alternatives?

djsb

It appears that there will be no OEM chain and sprocket sets available for the NC750X untill October of this year. My bike uses a 17t front sprocket and a 39t rear sprocket with a 520 x 112 chain. This according to a calculator on the AFAM website gives a ratio of 2.294. My user manual states reduction ratios of primary/final as 1.921/2.294 so that seems to tally. AFAM lists a set in their catalogue as part number 01077553 (chain A520XMR2 Front sprocket 20617-16, Rear sprocket 10627-43). This gives a final gearing of 2.688 according to their calculator. This seems quite a lot different to the OEM gearing. What effect will this have? How do I work out a combination of front/rear sprocket and chain length that I can actually buy and that is as close to the final reduction ratio as possible?

JT sprocket do not list a 17 tooth sprocket and only list a 39 tooth one. Thats as far as I've got so far. How can I work out the correct combination of sprockets and chain? Thanks.

PS Could I safely use a set for an NC700X DCT model without undue adverse effect? If so what should I choose?

Edited by djsb
embee

The 700 has a 16Tgearbox sprocket, the 750 has 17T.

I'd suggest using the correct size, especially with the DCT where wheel speeds different to what the system expects could potentially cause false "fault" issues (the engine/ABS/DCT/instrument pack systems can all talk to each other to some extent), I haven't heard specific problems but potentially it's possible.

I believe the front gearbox sprocket is a more or less standard Honda pattern of splined hub, if that's correct it should be easy to source a 17T version even if it's not specifically listed for the NC (i.e. if other models use it).

The part number for the OEM 17t front sprocket is 23801-MJL-D30 and is priced at £49.56 (around £20 for the NC700X 16 tooth version) if bought from David Silver spares. I've sent an email off to sprockets unlimited and B and C express to see if they can help. Not sure if a custom made part is going to be cost effective unless made in bulk. So may have to buy the OEM version anyway.

embee

Edit of earlier post

Just had a look onhttp://www.bike-parts-honda.com/ and if you click on a part number it gives a list of all the bikes where the part is used. Looks like the NC750 17T sprocket is used only on the NC750, which would explain why aftermarket companies aren't in any great rush to make them. 

Juggler

There is actually 17T aftermarket front sprocket, and both sprockets kit in USA. But I think postage will cost the diff in prices. PM me and I will give a link.

Edited by Juggler

So, if rumours are correct and the 17 tooth sprocket is not available until October what would be the best combination of front sprocket, chain and rear sprocket. The AFAM kit is just as dificult to find so I may have to buy a 16 tooth front sproket for an NC700X. Which chain and rear sprocket should I choose? I'm hoping that I can use this temporarily until and aftermarket sprocket is available from JT sprockets. There has been no reply so far from chain Gang Gang sprockets in Australia or Talon engineering. I have also sent an email to Phil Dix explaining the situation. I wonder what other NC750X DCT owner do when they have to do this?

AFAM kits are available from Biketorque Racing in Frome. They don't as yet have 17T front sprockets.

Honda are currently looking into the issue. I will update you all later. Thanks.

Edited by djsb
  • Like 1
Derek_Mac

Merci. :)

Thanks for the link but I can't register on the main French Equipment website as it wont accept my post code and assumes I'm in France. A general search on that part number results in a couple of sites in germany that do not have this part in stock. So, sadly I'm back where I started.

aquaboy

If you are going to run a 16 on the gearbox you need a 36 or 37 for the rear wheel.

This gives more or less the same ratio as the original 17/39 compo.

You would need to shorten the chain and it will wear the chain guide on the swinging arm more I would think.

• 2 months later...
Guest Beterraba

So are any good alternative to oem kit for a nc750x dct?

As far as i was capable of gathering the best alternative is rear sprocket and chain from afam. And front sprocket oem.

Can anyone Expain What is a good quality kit? I read that Afam, rk and did are good quality. And x-rings last longer than o rings. And a

gold chain is better.

thanks in advance for any help.

The colour of the chain plates is irrelevant, it's bling factor (yes I have gold sideplates on mine!).

It's not just the make of the chain but also the model variant, most manufacturers do different ranges, usually a cost/specification tradeoff. Most of the well known names (Tsubaki, DID etc) make decent quality stuff, shame that Hondasan pulled in the purse strings quite so tight when specifying the OE chains, cheapest spec available.

My personal choice for chain is the DID VX2, it is a world different from the OE DID O-ring chain, heavier sideplates and much smoother action with the X-rings, better class of chain all round. Available from various outlets, expect around £65-75 for an NC item (or Euro equivalent).

As for sprockets, can't really comment. Not sure if anyone other than Honda is doing a 17T g/box item yet, folk seem to be having problems finding alternatives.

JT sprockets quote the end of September for their 17 tooth front sprocket. But everytime I ask them it's amonth or two away.

Guest Beterraba

thank you Very much for your reply.

So the only alternative to Nc 750 x dct 2014 are:

17t front sprocket: oem or jt

39r rear sprocket: oem or afam (http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/001559/013207/Afam-Steel-Rear-Sprocket-suitable-for-Honda-NC750X-DCT-2014)

520 - 112 chain: Oem or DID or EK or RK (http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/honda/nc-700-2012-2015/nc-700-s-x-models-automatic/520-chain-kit-jt-brand-steel-sprockets-with-your-choice-of-x-ring-chain-nc700-automatic-dct-models-12-14.html)

I think afam doesnot Have 520 112 chain for dct.. They Have 520 114 for manual thow.

So i will probably go for oem front.. Afam or oem rear and one of the chains with x reinforcement. Probably EK or DIDvx2.

Some good information from the south http://nc700forumsa.proboards.com/thread/474/dct-chain

Edited by Beterraba
  • 2 months later...

Finally managed to order a JT front sprocket ( jtf1373.17) from B & C Express today. It cost arounf £21 including postage. JT only had one in stock but they are at last being produced. Maybe we should all put in an order so that some demand is created.

• 2 weeks later...