air compressor

Guest odansky

Guest odansky

Hi,

Any recommendations for bike air compressor by any chance? (one that will work with our cigarette plugin)

I just got back from a social ride to find that I have a flat tyre ( I don't even have enough air to take the bike to a petrol station.

on the same note, do you know any puncture places for bike around north london? I cannot see any nail or screws...

Thanks, 

Guest Carl_L

This is on my wish list when I can afford it

http://metalmule.com/by-product/maintenance-repairkit/cycle-pump.html

Used by the british army in Iraq apparently.

I've got one, bought when I was feeling flush & impulsive. Great piece of kit but I can't really say they're worth the money - good old 80/20 rule applies.

As for being used by the army, I understand that the manufacturer supplied a unit or two to some soldier friends who, in return, supplied some tasty action photos. Clever marketing but they're not standard army issue.

Edit p.s: For home use, you can't beat a good old manual bicycle track pump.

Edited by Carl_L

Yes, I use my Blackburn track cycle pump as well but not really portable although a standard halford foot pump would fit in the frunk.

MikeBike

Bought an airman Tour based on recommendations on here. Very compact and works well.

Guest odansky

Bought an airman Tour based on recommendations on here. Very compact and works well.

is it working with the standard NC cigarette lighter?

I had a puncture a while back, and used a friend's pump which is 12V - it blew out my fuse!

This...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Electric-300PSI-Compressor-AU121/dp/B006B3QOLE

I've had this for a couple of years, use it every couple of weeks and no issues so far.

Small, about 7.5cm x 10cm x 15cm, light and works like a dream. Listing says 300psi but mine is 200psi.

MikeBike

I had a puncture a while back, and used a friend's pump which is 12V - it blew out my fuse!

Actually I tested it at the weekend and checked the bike and car tyres. The bike tyres were on pressure, but the car ones needed some air, so only used it from the car's 12v supply.

But it's a good point, and one I hadn't considered - I simply bought it from others recommendations on here.

EDIT: I've looked into it a bit and the relay is rated at 7.5A, but it says a 1A fuse in the relay which is under the panels... Ugh. although not stated on the pump or manual specs in various places on the web it says max 10A. So to be safe I'd need a separate 10A supply direct from the battery.

Thanks for your question!! I thought I was prepared by having tested the compressor.

EDIT: the 12V socket and relay installation instuctions say

Use a 1A fuse for replacement of the fuse in the  •

accessory harness. Do not use any other fuse for

replacement.

Use a 7.5A fuse for replacement of the fuse in •

the Relay Set. Do not use any other fuse for

replacement.

The maximum power rating of connected accessories •

is 12 W (12 V, 1 A(.

Edited by MikeBike

I've got an RAC n from Amazon.  I have used it a few times without any problem.  It has cog lighter adapter and croc clips.

I also carry CO2, as these come with the puncture kit but have never used them.

Not sure where you are in North London. FirstLine Motorcycles in Arnos grove (N11 1NL) fixed puncture in my rear tyre earlier in the year. Not sure it is the cheapest, I can't remember exactly what I paid though sorry. In my case I took rear wheel off bike myself and dropped it off at bike shop in the car then picked it up later since tyre was flat as a pancake and therefor I wasn't able to ride the bike in. Luckily it was a scre dead centre of the tread so tyre was mendable.

glencoeman

Maplins do a good heavy duty air pump (up to approx. 130psi ) for about £15.

Guest Carl_L

So to be safe I'd need a separate 10A supply direct from the battery.

What works for me as a general ad-hoc solution to power (as I have a battery tender lead connected to battery) is to carry a small lead that connects into tender lead & terminates to a female lighter socket (also have DIN converter). Carry this lead with you & it's always there. I'm a naughty boy & use unfused tender leads but, even if you want a fused one, you can use a fairly high-rated fuse because you only need to protect against a short (the lead on my NC lies against the frame so could, in theory, rub through if I were a high mileage user & kept the bike for a squillion years).

Depending on your make of battery tender (talking in the generic sense, rather than brand) you may be able to buy such a lead. If not, just buy the bits & make one up.

Guest Carl_L

P.S: I like the look of that Airman Tour.

Seems a lot of people assume a high PSI rating is a sign of quality. I don't really understand compressors that well but I always assume that high PSI is achieved by lots of little puffs, which makes them slow. Also, on a 300 PSI pump with gauge, the gauge is going to all but useless as the increments are too big.

Volume is more useful than high pressures - can't see volume figures for the Airman but the claimed speeds seem good for such a compact unit.

glencoeman

The cheaper pumps, although rated at about 250 psi, do not go much above 60psi (can't do spacesaver car tyres with them as they require at least 65psi) due to having a tiny piston doing the compressing. The Maplins pump will pump to 130psi. It is made from steel and, although heavier, is far better than the cheaper plastic compressors.

Guest odansky

End up buying a compressor - [Ring-Automotive-RAC605]

bought it from hal fords (price match from am a zon). It is not the smallest, and lightest (1.3Kg) but it worked really fast, and easy to use.

I plugged it into my car's 12V plug as I wasn't sure if it would blow my fuse on my bike.

I filled up the tyre then rode to a local shop called RoadRunner in Finchley (they do cars and bikes).

cost me £36 including VAT - and it wasn't the best job. but it seems to work.
I just ordered a mushroom kit [STOP 'N GO POCKET TYRE PLUGGER KIT], and I hope this will help me next time as this was a classic situation for this kind of a repair.

Edited by odansky
Guest hugmeister

I did this as well without thinking as the fuse for the honda acc socket is only 1A.

I have added a direct to battery socket on my handlebars now for high load applications and just have the frunk one for my phone.

11230726_10153320191640763_4240955386057

ScaredyCat

I got myself item 181670673873 from the Bay of E and the other day, when I had to pump a completely flat tyre, it took less than 5 minutes. I am fat and lazy so if you're even slightly fit it should take less time. Not exactly portable, but great for home.

I had to take my bike to the dealer 20 minutes away, I over inflated the tyre a little (1-2 psi) which pinched my puncture closed and then rode to the dealer, wife followed in the car and I stopped a couple of times to check it. Didn't need to top it up at all.

Edited by ScaredyCat
michael

Lots of small 12V air compressors available via the internet, some labelled as "motorcycle specific," but in reality, they're merely very small 12V compressors that may be covered in decorative plastic. Most of them tout "150 psi," but in fact it will take a long, long time to generate 150 psi due to the very small gulps of air they take.

An Aerostich model is in my frunk at the moment, yet in the past I've purchased one from an auto parts department store (Canadian Tire) for less than $20 CDN.

In an attempt to save space i added my ball peen hammer to the plastic shroud to remove it. As a result I had a small, useful and competent 12V compressor with no useless space. Jettisoned the unused electrical hook ups and the entire kit would fit in the palm of my hand.

There are some really good compressors out there for $100+ USD, but you don't have to spend that much for the peace of mind an almost unlimited supply of compressed air available.

Guest hugmeister

why is everyone going on about the max psi or not getting to 150 psi?

Unless I'm doing it wrong the tyre pressure are 36psi front and 42psi on the rear - they are teeny tires, you really don't need a big compressor?

• 3 weeks later...
michael

150 psi sounds good and looks good on the side of the box. The reality is these small compressors take very, very small sips and would take a long, long time to get any air space to 150 psi. Frankly, as long as my tire is filled up within a few minutes I'm content enough with the product.