stainless brake pipe banjos

Mike5100

Mike5100

Despite my liberal use of acf50 on all the banjos they are now corroding (18 months - but two winters).  Is it possible to replace them with stainless steel items.  My Triumph rocket has them and they are immaculate after 3 years.

Mike

Guest bonekicker

Mike another example of ACF50--parts corroding--I dont like it for one minute--I have 3/4 of a tin left in my garage--as soon as I had used it--I cleaned it off with WD40--and spray with the WD40 and oil mix--this works a treat. :whistle:

Guest Southerner

Mike another example of ACF50--parts corroding--I dont like it for one minute--I have 3/4 of a tin left in my garage--as soon as I had used it--I cleaned it off with WD40--and spray with the WD40 and oil mix--this works a treat. :whistle:

How do you do that Michael? When you say 'oil' mix, what are you using exactly...?

Do you mix it up in your secret laboratory in the shed at home?! :fear:  

Mike5100

errrm .... could we stick to my question please gents  :ermm:

CAn you get replacement stainless steel banjos?  Are they standard sort of things or is every bike special?  What's involved in changing them?

Thanks

Mike

Guest John_Minus_600

Stainless banjo's should be available anywhere that sell Goodridge braided lines as they do a custom (build a line) lines over the counter. I used the decal shop on Westgate Road in Newcastle. They will have a catalogue full of bike specs to work from but you might also be able to get the part number and size needed online from a parts catalogue.

I've always replaced like for like and had no problems but I believe the torque values will be different if you change to stainless. Wouldn't want to wreck the master cylinder or caliper thread... The shop should be able to advise.

Fitting is not super easy and will involve a fluid change if you're changing all the banjo's. I've not done this on the NC yet but the process will be in the service manual I'd have thought, protecting the ABS components while filling and  bleeding would be my main concern.

On other bikes I've done it's been a case of clean water and paper towels to hand then pads out, drain master cylinder, lower banjo's out, drain lines, replace parts as required, fill and bleed.

It's brakes at the end of the day (important) and bleeding a fresh system can be a right pain in the ar$e, especially by yourself... 

Decision time, to-do or to-get-someone-else-to-do, that is the question  :blink:

Mike5100

Thanks John that's very useful - I'm guessing you are meaning Michael at A to Z Stickers on Westgate Road.  I think I will get him to order them and get Honda Newcastle to fit them next time they have to unseize my centre stand :angry:

.... unless of course Honda bring out the supercharged 750 before next winter 

Mike

Mike5100

Mike Sorry about that--cob into gear--brain out of gear--but then that's not so unusual is it??  :blink:

:thumbsup: I now have my answer so we can grumble about acf50 if you like.  I'm not giving up on it yet but I think if you don't keep a very regular eye on the bits, you can find that suddenly it's started.  Also - the guy who runs the professional application of ACF50 company, told me that he doesn't think all the salt has been washed down the gutters until the end of May or early June - particular if you ride in the hills like I do.  I have probably been a bit neglectful on toughing up the bits with the acf50 paintbrush since the end of April.

Mike

What's the other stuff? FS365 or something?

Scottoiler FS365. Good stuff.

Guest John_Minus_600

Thanks John that's very useful - I'm guessing you are meaning Michael at A to Z Stickers on Westgate Road.  I think I will get him to order them and get Honda Newcastle to fit them next time they have to unseize my centre stand :angry:

.... unless of course Honda bring out the supercharged 750 before next winter 

Mike

Yes thats the one, although I don't know Michael personally. If it was the bloke that helped me when I was looking for black fixings for my CB he was really helpful.

I don't have a centre stand, but I do have a large hammer if thats of any use  :drool:

ps. +1 for ACF50 

Rocker66

Sue and I used ACF50 for years with no problem when we were commuting all year round

glencoeman

With the ABS models ( as all UK models are), it would be difficult to change the front brake hose as the lower end of the front brake line is moulded into an alloy block which in turn is connected to the ABS unit. Could be a costly exercise. My brother in law looked into changing to goodridge brake lines on his Honda Blackbird, which has combined ABS brakes similar to the NC700, and it worked out at over £200.