Washless cleaning. This seems to work

Mike5100

Mike5100
I'm lazy and don't like to spend too much time washing then blow drying the bike, then applying a wax, but I do every now and then.  So I bought a bottle of this waterless wash and wax at some kind of pound shop.  or rather it couldn't have been because I see it must have cost me a fiver.  But it's like some kind of miracle polish.  It gets dead flies off all the paintwork, as well as light oil stains.  It polishes up the wheel rims no problem.  It works on the black plastics leaving no white marks, and it even took all the black tar spots off the stainless steel exhaust (NC750) with a few minutes of gentle rubbing.  Then you can just go over it with a clean polishing cloth and there's a perfectly adequate shine.

Mike

• Like 1
fred_jb

I'm lazy and don't like to spend too much time washing then blow drying the bike, then applying a wax, but I do every now and then.  So I bought a bottle of this waterless wash and wax at some kind of pound shop.  or rather it couldn't have been because I see it must have cost me a fiver.  But it's like some kind of miracle polish.  It gets dead flies off all the paintwork, as well as light oil stains.  It polishes up the wheel rims no problem.  It works on the black plastics leaving no white marks, and it even took all the black tar spots off the stainless steel exhaust (NC750) with a few minutes of gentle rubbing.  Then you can just go over it with a clean polishing cloth and there's a perfectly adequate shine.
Mike

Sounds interesting, but I'd be a bit concerned about long term effects on the plastics if it is based on some sort of oily solvent, which the ability to dissolve tar spots would imply.

Fred

• Like 1
Guest JBdoessound

I'd be a little concerned by the moving around of any particles of dust etc that aren't being 'washed' off but are being rubbed into the paintwork. I think that if I was going to use this I'd want to rinse the bike first.

I've been using a shampoo and then Mr Sheen to get the plastics looking good. Gets chain oil off the back wheel well too.

Jon

Mike5100

Yes I was also worried about this Jon, but there are many waterless wash products out there now.  I paid £15 for a bottle from an aircraft supplies shop.  I think it's the same stuff as this which cost a fiver.

I have just used it this afternoon and to my astonishment I was able to clean up all round the hubs of the wheels, and the backs of the brake disks by using a radiator brush and spraying this stuff on the bristles.  Then I used an ordinary cloth to give it a quick wipe then one of those hedgehog type mitts to buff it all up and for the little protrusion to get into corners that the cloth wasn't able to.

Both my bikes are matt finish and I am sure it's not damaged the matt lacquer.  I even tried it gently on the big chrome exhausts on my Rocket and it does not seem to have left any swirls in the surface.

I will research how it works and post on here.

Mike

• Like 1

That looks good - might try it... ☺

Interesting stuff, may give it a go myself....

• 4 weeks later...
MikeBike

IF you have a Tutoro Oiler keep it and any other solvents away from the acrylic reservoir.

Mike5100

I can update you that the Range sell two types of this stuff.  One is in a white bottle and slightly cheaper - don't buy it.  Make sure you get the transluscent bottle with a creamy coloured mixture inside.  The one on the white bottle is much thinner when you apply it, and if leaves a nasty white deposit everywhere that you have to polish off or it looks a right mess.  They do a valet (or value ?) pack that contains microfibre towels and a tyre cleaner.  This pack at £9.99 has the rubbish washless cleaner in it so don't be tempted.

Mike