Engine flush

Guest Jonnyboy

Guest bonekicker

John Is the oil in your bike really dirty? the motor flush is for engine's that have not been maintained very well and the oil just topped up rather than being changed regularly---I would not recommend to use it--But it's up to yourself  :thumbsup:

Tex

I tend to agree with Michael. How many miles has the bike done? Do you 'know' the history? etc. If the oil has been changed regularly (and is a 'decent' quality) then a flush really shouldn't be required. Just get the engine good and hot before draining it and, ideally, leave to drain overnight.

Guest Jonnyboy

I've had my bike from new, and it's only done 2800 miles in total. So I'm taking it there's no need to put one in then?

Last time I used a "flushing oil" was as a teenger when I was playing around with a Vauxhall Viva at home. Not heard of anyone having to do this on a modern motorcycle engine. Flushing the radiator/cooling system on my MZ Skorpion with distilled water and white vinegar yes, but never on my brand new Honda. Waste of money and could actually do some harm as it will dilute the lubrication film between metal surfaces.

michael

I incorrectly presumed the OP was talking about coolant flush….which I don't have an opinion on. I'm a fan of "every 2 years replace the coolant and brake fluid."

Oil flush?  With newer combustibles (fuel) creating less detritus to be deposited in the engine I don't see a need, if one is regimented about oil changes.

However, if it's one of those things that help you sleep at night, by all means. I'd merely ensure it is a safe product for engines with a lot of aluminum in it….

Then again, I'd worry about what the engine flush is doing to the clutch plates…something an automobile engine doesn't have to worry about.

And I wonder why I have trouble sleeping at night!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of engine flushes are kerosene based liquids.

I'm using them for several years in all my cars, with no problems whatsoever. April this year put some into my Transalp, no problems at all.

Guest DelBoy

As the others have stated there really is no need to flush, just do as Tex says.

But why do you feel the need to change the oil after only 2800 miles..!