Replacement screwdriver

Guest RobF

I had to use my flimsy standard screwdriver the other day. They need consigning to the bin!

I buy these as replacements for motorcycle toolkits once you have had one there's no using anything else. Made by snap on and come with a lifetime guarantee. They cost £25 with delivery.

If you order from Harley Davidson Jersey there's no vat to pay

http://www.jerseyh-d.com/products/78236-screwdriver-8-in-1.aspx

MikeBike

BUt the crosshead screws on the Honda aren't philips, and Philips drivers mess them up. They are JIS standard. I would like to find a source of JIS (or close fitting) 1/4" driver bits like this (rather than screwdrivers) but haven't found one yet.

Edited by MikeBike
baben

I bet you can pick up a low mileage Harley on Jersey!

Guest bonekicker

Just buy a cheapo set  of bits--some will fit perfectly--I have had a cheap set I bought 40 years ago and still going strong--apart from the missing ones? :baby:

I bet you can pick up a low mileage Harley on Jersey!

You can pick up a low mileage 'anything' on Jersey!

Lots of low miles cars begin their lives as hire cars there. Then, when they're six to twelve months old, get shipped over here, get mainland plates and go on the forecourts. The 'one owner' car will have had dozens of 'drivers'. But as the speed limit on the island is only 40mph it's unlikely to make a huge difference.

Unless they've been driven everywhere in 1st gear!

Normally by Americans who think they're driving an auto.

Edited by CFB
  • Like 1
Guest Carl_L

BUt the crosshead screws on the Honda aren't philips, and Philips drivers mess them up. They are JIS standard. I would like to find a source of JIS (or close fitting) 1/4" driver bits like this (rather than screwdrivers) but haven't found one yet.

Me too!

I've previously made a plea for a heads up if any become available as I'd like to be able to use bits with a T-bar etc.

I've got a set of drivers from RuggedRoads and, although overpriced, they're superb - bits would be just so much more useful though.

P.S. to OP: I thought the low priced goods V.A.T. exemption ended a couple of years back???? Good for you if you got away with it but probably down to HMRC being lazy and/or overworked - I wouldn't rely on it though.

You can pick up a low mileage 'anything' on Jersey!

Lots of low miles cars begin their lives as hire cars there. Then, when they're six to twelve months old, get shipped over here, get mainland plates and go on the forecourts. The 'one owner' car will have had dozens of 'drivers'. But as the speed limit on the island is only 40mph it's unlikely to make a huge difference.

I worked for a company years ago whose company cars were all ex hire cars from Jersey. Some had less than 10 miles on when they were bought so I suspect it was a way for the manufacturers to dispose of surplus stock. It was a good source of low mileage, heavily discounted vehicles for the company car market though. 

I've just had a couple of visors from Duques-Accessories and Offshore Motor Cycle Parts on Guernsey (very good service BTW) and both packages had a VAT CN22 customs declaration labels showing the amount of tax paid.

I suspect that any VAT free deals from JerseyHD rely on (as mentioned above) lazy revenue protection practices and or plain packaging........

I worked for a company years ago whose company cars were all ex hire cars from Jersey. Some had less than 10 miles on when they were bought so I suspect it was a way for the manufacturers to dispose of surplus stock. It was a good source of low mileage, heavily discounted vehicles for the company car market though. 

That's exactly how it works. There's, presumably, some sort of tax advantage to doing it that way. A VAT loophole, or somesuch.