How is the NC700 restricted?

Guest NSXED

Guest NSXED

Hi,

I've been riding an NC700S that was restricted to 33bhp/25KW (for the old license categories) from new from Honda.  I passed my test on a 125 in July 2012 so for nearly a year the 33bhp/25KW license restriction has passed.  I was wondering how the restriction is done / how is it removed?  

Guest bonekicker

Ed I personally dont know--I think I saw on youtube how it's done--it probably won't be very complicated--But saying that I don't know--one of our talented members will hopefully tell you the fact's  :baby:

Guest Big Shot

It is normally a "restrictor" on the inlet side to reduce the size of the intake. Probably a steel insert somewhere between the airbox and the throttle body. It should be pretty easy to find. :D

It could even be on the actual throttle body itself

Derek_Mac

When I had mine restricted it was only a little bit of pressed steel limiting how far the throttle could open, there was no restriction in the airbox.

Have a look at the thread that Rob mentioned.

ScaredyCat

It has a redline at 6.5k 

... bada boom-tsh.

I'll be here all week, try the salmon.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Thanks Jonty,

I don't think I've logged in since I asked the question so sorry for not replying!  It does actually feel like the throttle doesn't twist as far as other bikes.  It'll be off this weekend!

Ed

I agree. A lot of money for such a small piece.

Then again, think of Honda Central-at some point in motorcycle developement-where we find the Chief Engineer of All World Fabrication and Compliance.

He reads the legislation specific to your jurisdiction, says "damn," (in Japanese) and points to two engineers hunched over a computer screen.

"You! Design and build something for *this* jurisdiction limiting overall horsepower that's easily installed, removed and complies with their laws."

Two young engineers make an "O," with their mouths and feel the weight of the task. Thousand of those motorcycles will be sold in places where the driver's license *does not* have a power output/speed restriction, rather those that include times of day, roads not permitted (such as freeways) or even the number of supervisors required.

I speculate it's expensive because it's not built for every NC ever built.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, merely speculating.