Oil level tip

CFB

Bored with the faff of balancing the bike upright to check the level, I have done it for the last time.

I've got a centre stand so compared the level when the bike is on both wheels, to when it's on the stand.

The level on the stand is only about 3 mm below the level when not.

Sorted :)

• Like 2
Mike5100

Good thinking Clive, I think what you are saying is that as long as the level is 3mm under the full mark when you measure it on the centrestand, then that equates to full when the bike is upright on its wheels?

And just for reference - I measured the chain slack (with a micrometer) to get a quick way of checking the chain.  At 35mm slack when on the centrestand, the chain just touches the underside of the swing arm when forced upwards - and if done repeatedly it makes a muted clacking sound.  If you then put the bike on the sidestand it just fails to make contact.

Mike

• Like 4
bazza

Good thinking Clive, I think what you are saying is that as long as the level is 3mm under the full mark when you measure it on the centrestand, then that equates to full when the bike is upright on its wheels?

And just for reference - I measured the chain slack (with a micrometer) to get a quick way of checking the chain.  At 35mm slack when on the centrestand, the chain just touches the underside of the swing arm when forced upwards - and if done repeatedly it makes a muted clacking sound.  If you then put the bike on the sidestand it just fails to make contact.

Mike

i have small length of pipe cut 35mm long -if it fits in, its about right.You dont get dirty fingers that way.

Some other bikes measure differently depending on rider weight and suspension settings if on a side stand

embee

For info, the Integra manual says check oil level when on the centre stand (fitted as standard).

ScaredyCat

Mike

Where are you measuring this from because it's not uniform along the length. Closer to the rear sprocket it's a bigger gap.

Tigertail

As per the manual halfway along the chain length presumably, that's exactly how I measure it too and have done so with all my bikes.  If two chain links can touch the underside of the swingarm (at the point where the rubber chain guard ends) then the chain is very close to needing adjustment.

Also if using the centrestand while checking the oil you can always slip a 1 inch thick plank under the front wheel to level the bike.

• Like 1
Mikdent

i have small length of pipe cut 35mm long -if it fits in, its about right.You dont get dirty fingers that way.

Ah bless. :lol:

• Like 2

As per the manual halfway along the chain length presumably, that's exactly how I measure it too and have done so with all my bikes.  If two chain links can touch the underside of the swingarm (at the point where the rubber chain guard ends) then the chain is very close to needing adjustment.

Also if using the centrestand while checking the oil you can always slip a 1 inch thick plank under the front wheel to level the bike.

I'm not planning on taking a plank with me when away. :)

Mike, thanks for that. that was my next trick. :)

I can have a beer in the garden instead now.