Sometimes is pays to stay out of the garage (brake pads, Part 1)

michael

fred_jb

thanks fred

Yes -mine is definitely on the back of the inner brake pad, though I can't guarantee that that is correct!    

Maybe someone who hasn't replaced their pads could have a quick look and confirm.   The shim has several little tabs that wrap around the sides of of the pad so it is not too difficult to spot it or even feel it.

Fred

My Integra has the original pads in, and they both have a shim. You can just make out theshims indicated on the parts drawing here

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-60983-60983-NC700DC-2012-F_24-INTEGRA+700.html

I haven't checked if the other models or the 750 has the same.

F_24.jpg

• 6 months later...
michael

Fred: (only 5 months later) Yes! The shim/insulator fits to the pad on the inside of the wheel. I stared at it for a while, thinking to myself "wouldn't they want the hot pads away from the piston side?  Presumably another function of that shim - with what appears to be some sort of insulation type material -  would be to keep heat away from the piston/fluid interface? Not being an engineer, I'm going to stop asking questions.

UPDATE:

Replaced the pads today - yes both the front and rear -  with nary a hiccup.

The fronts slipped into the newly cleaned calliper and as i had an errand, went out for a test ride/bedding in trip.  Some new noises under hard braking I hadn't heard before (sounds like a whizzing noise) but considered it normal. Feel at the lever is improving with every stop.

Then to the rear calliper. My new found garage confidence had them out, cleaned and replaced in under 15 minutes. Off down the road for the test run, feeling my way with the rear brakes. Much, much improved braking with what appeared to be the same pedal pressure.  Once I got the grin off my face I realized my ABS indictor light was lit.

<face palm>

Completely neglected to re-attach the two bolts that hold the ABS sensor in place.  As I'm slowing to the side of the road into a parking lot I'm chanting "Please don't lose the fasteners, please don't lose the fasteners, please don't lose the fasteners."

Huzzah! They're all there, dangling from the wire.

In mère moments the tool kit comes out of the frunk, the two bolts are attached and all is well again.

Sometimes it pays to stay out of the garage. Sometimes a little good fortune helps too. I'm glad I saved a few dollars in labor and am confident the callipers and discs are clean, lubricated and working properly.

The back of the package tell me to truly bed in the brakes they recommend 250 miles of urban riding. That's about 12 trips back and forth to work for me, so anticipate yet more improvement.

Brake fluid? I had not replaced and will leave that to the dealer, given my healthy respect for ABS and linked brakes.  

I have a little over 25,000 miles (actually, 41,000 kms) on the NC700X (standard) and while there was some pad material left….well they are like tires aren't they? One would hate to run out of pad material while on the road, so I always leave the garage for a long trip with fresh rubber, even if I "give some away," by taking the old tires off 2 or 3,000 km's prior to wear bar appearance. So there was a little pad material left….they in the trash bin and i've a renewed confidence.

A morning in the garage, no lost or broken parts  and my hands are intact.  A good day.