Honda dealer options

Guest Jim Simon

Guest Jim Simon

Morning.

I am 50% (...rough estimate...) of the way through the great tyre issue, but now have a warranty-tyre-change-number from Honda UK with which to approach dealers.

By choice I'd go to a smaller garage for basic work as one hears all sorts of things that were done badly by big dealers. But I have to go to a Honda dealer so they can process the work against a Honda UK number. I live in West Sussex (UK for overseas members - sorry to trouble you with this), and could go to P&H in Crawley, Chichester Honda or... anywhere else within 25 miles or so, which would bring Dobles in too I guess.

Someone mentioned JHMC in Crowborough as being a good bunch, but they aren't, as far as I know, able to deal with Honda Central in the same way as a main dealer. Maybe use them when the time comes for general service?

So, my question is, does anyone feel like steering me away from a bad experience or towards an understanding and helpful service team who won't leave nuts loose and put nails in my tyres?

Cheers,

Jim.

Huskyteer

Dobles seem to have a good relationship with Honda, from what I've seen; they tried really hard to get some compensation over my DCT issue. I've only used them a couple of times but they have a big workshop and seem careful + competent.

Guest bonekicker

Jim even though some members have had bad experiences with the main Honda dealers ( including me) you will have to go too one for your warranty claim-- I would think no one could be 100% sure who to recommend--just check everything on bike before you sign or ride away. :thumbsup:  

Edited by bonekicker
Guest Southerner

Where in west Sussex are you Jim?

For a tyre change, P & H will be fine, as will Doble MCs.

Before you ride away, make sure you check the chain adjustment (i.e. that there is some slack) plus alignment according to the markers on each adjuster. Also, tyre pressures. This saves you riding back after you get home and find that something's not done properly.

I only highlight this because when I had my rear tyre changed a few months back by a very reputable and well known local independent dealer, I arrived home to find absolutely NO slack whatsoever in the chain - that was with me off the bike too! Also, the tyre didn't have the right air pressure either, but I picked that one up before I had left the dealer.

It doesn't matter where we take our bikes - we must always check what's been done, as far as we're able to.

Edited by Southerner
Guest Jim Simon

Hi John. Thanks for the message.

In between Crawley and Brighton is where I am. I had hoped Chichester Honda might get an A+ rating as for me to go there from here is at least a nice ride! However, P&H is pretty close so I'd be happy to go there.

But isn't it odd that the basics of work are often so poor? And how prevalent is that sort of thing? Thinking about cars - one trusts a car dealer without really being able to check on the work as it's all rather hidden away, but I suppose that at least on a bike most of what might be shoddy can be seen if you know what to look for. I am generally capable mechanically, but just haven't ever really taken on much maintenance myself as I've always thought it best to leave something that has to be as safe as it can possibly be to the experts!

baben

I have heard horror stories about car dealers too. In particular oil and filter changes that were not done but were paid for.

Defender

It's the way the jobs are timed and bonus awarded for doing it quickly rather than properly.

We have times allocated for our routeen maintenance jobs, sometimes we're quicker and sometimes slower as each location is different and has it's own 'local issues' that come into play, but we don't get a bonus for doing anything more quickly so we can take our time.