Burning smell

Guest driver8013

Guest driver8013

Just wondering if any other owners have noticed a strong smell of rubber burning coming from front of engine, normally after a long ride or lengthy tick over.

embee

You get it if the road is wet, especially after a long dry spell. It's rubber from the road (as in tyre wear dust). Normal on a bike, it splashes on the exhaust.

• Like 5
suffolk58

Murray, you truely are the font of all knowledge!

(You don't know next week's winning lottery numbers do you?) :thumbsup:

• Like 1
Guest driver8013

Thanks Murray, i've had the lower fairing off today and let the bike tick over for about 20 minutes, no smell of burn, Thanks.

Guest EasyTiger

Another good way to worry yourself is to apply ACF50 liberally everywhere on the bike.

Next time you ride off, take a moment of mindfulness to become aware of a strange burning smell and clouds of smoke.

If you want to scare yourself, get ACF50 on the brake discs...

• 1 month later...

I've had this awful smell of burning rubber several times now - the last time was a few days ago and I noticed that the wire going to the rear brake caliper was touching the inside face of the silencer. I'm going to put a blob of glue on it to stop it moving close to the silencer shortly and we shall see if that is indeed the culprit.  My guess is that it's the wire to the ABS sensor.

ScaredyCat

Every time it rains. 

We need a sticky post or something..

• Like 2

Bet it doesn't smell as bad as the roadkill rabbit I ran over with bits ending up on the downpipe. Perils of country roads I suppose

Huskyteer

I once complained to my dealer that my bike smelled funny after a long run up the motorway. His response: "Well, so would you!"