Supporting the bike when removing the forks

djsb

I have a centre stand and I need to remove the front forks one at a time in order to fit my Matris F15K kit. Just wondering what would be the most secure method of
supporting the bike whilst doing this. Is anyone able to measure the distance from the sump to the ground for me? Iv'e considered a small scissor type jack with a minimum height of 100mm and maximum height of 340mm but I dont know if it will fit. A bottle jack and a piece of wood may be too unstable as I'm doing the work outside in a car park. Not sure what else I could use. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

PS. My original idea was to tie down the rear of the bike using nylon rope to my other bike (from it's swinging arm to the pillion handles on the NC). However I'd like to add something under the engine just in case.

Edited by djsb

A jack under the sump will be fine (use a piece of wood to protect the alloy). I've done it that way dozens of times on loads of bikes and never had a problem. Just be a little careful while working and don't take silly risks or get too violent with your work. :)

• Like 3
trisaki

Undo the tight bolts first leaving them just tighter then finger tight before jacking it up

• Like 2
fred_jb

I put a bag of sand in the top box.  There is not far off a 50:50 weight balance when on the centre stand so it doesn't take too much extra weight at the back to take the front wheel off the ground.   You can then put something under the sump just in case.

Fred

• Like 3

Fred, I did that very same thing when working on the D/V  I had.

embee

Same here, bag of sand in the topbox and wooden blocks under the sump, belt and braces. You really really don't want it falling forwards off the stand, it'll spoil your day ................ a lot.

• Like 1
Guest mikmcd

I've always used the jack under the sump method when removing the front wheel, but always feel a bit insecure. I tend to get the work done ASAP and get it back together. Certainly if you're working outside in a carpark I'd try not to leave it like that too long. 

Undo the tight bolts first leaving them just tighter then finger tight before jacking it up

Excellent advice!

On the race bikes we use paddock stands front and rear and can remove the forks easily enough. But the front one fits in the steering stem and if we have to remove the yokes we have no alternative to put a jack jack under the engine. And work carefully.

Mondello%20049.jpg

bazza

I put a bag of sand in the top box.  There is not far off a 50:50 weight balance when on the centre stand so it doesn't take too much extra weight at the back to take the front wheel off the ground.   You can then put something under the sump just in case.

Fred

You must be on the beach then?  Not long before i clear off now!!  Whats Spanish for " bonjour madame voules vous couchez avec moi sur soir?"

Plus one from me for jack under sump. I fitted gaiters to mine on Monday using that method :D

fred_jb

You must be on the beach then?  Not long before i clear off now!!  Whats Spanish for " bonjour madame voules vous couchez avec moi sur soir?"

Hi Bazza,

I can get by in French, but have no clue with Spanish which I find a bit disconcerting.   My good lady speaks fluent French, so also finds herself in the unfamiliar position of not being able to communicate.  Hope your missus doesn't understand French or you will be couchez ing with the dog tonight!

Fred

PS:  the beach is only about 200 metres away and water is just on the cool side of lukewarm - lovely!

Edited by fred_jb

if you jack it up and also put wood under the side stand you can get it as high as you like and secure with no centre stand