Chain Lube

Finlayson99

Finlayson99

Apologies if done to death in the past but simple question, chain lube wet or dry and how often?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rev Ken

• wozza

• JM750XDE

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loobman filled with engine oil. 5 second press of the button every 50-100 miles. Lovely lubed O rings and self cleaning. Works for me.

Loobman with 80W90 gearbox oil presently but keeping engine oil for winter. Before chain oiler installation I used Wurth Dry Chain Lube.

WD40, engine oil, engine oil for wet clutch, gear oil, chain saw oil, olive oil, they are lubricants but the only common property they have is viscosity... One can not cope with high temperatures, one

robbie_b

It is a personal preference - but I lube the chain after every ride, while the bike is still warm.

I am currently using a spray lube which is branded Heine Gericke, got it as they were closing down.

It is a white wax type, the advantage is you can see were you may have missed.

I usually buy any brand which I see at motor cycle shows "on offer", although I ovoid dry or desert types as I live in England - were it rains.

After a long ride in the rain, I wait for thr bike to dry out then "Give it large"

I have used this treatment on all my recent bikes (last 20 years) I think it pays dividends.

Edited by robbie_b

i use gear oil or ordinary motor oil in winter in a lubeman ,keeps chain oily looking ,i just fill the clear tube every 200 to 400 miles by pressing the button and let it seep in . i dont clean the chain at all . The lubemans feeders got lost so I drilled a hole in the chain guard and fed the tube through it so now it just drips on .

• Like 1
Rocker66

I use SDoc100 brilliant stuff and depending where you get it from it comes with a 75ml free refillable spray too.

I got a free can of SDoc100 chain cleaner with mine

ScaredyCat

I use SDoc100 brilliant stuff and depending where you get it from it comes with a 75ml free refillable spray too.

Someone buys from sportsbikeshop ;)

Spindizzy

Loobman filled with engine oil. 5 second press of the button every 50-100 miles. Lovely lubed O rings and self cleaning. Works for me.

• Like 2
nabrU

Loobman with 80W90 gearbox oil presently but keeping engine oil for winter. Before chain oiler installation I used Wurth Dry Chain Lube.

• Like 2
Guest NikiUK2003

Someone buys from sportsbikeshop ;)

Ha ha only coz I asked this same question not so long ago and somebody gave me the answer I have now passed on!! Lol

TheEnglishman

How many miles do you do and how often do you ride?

I do >1000 miles a month so an auto chain oiler and cheap oil works for me.

Some who ride once a month on a sunny Sunday clean the chain after every ride and apply dry lube with a Q-Tip.

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

How long is a peice of string?? we all have different answers on this issue--I use WD40 plus some engine oil mix together--I buy it in a 5 ltr plastic bottle with it's own hand pump--- I spray my chain every time I come back home.  :thumbsup:

Finlayson99

Thanks for all the replies.

As I thought, no hard and fast rules.

Using dry lube at the mo and frequency is dictated by the weather, road conditions amongst other things.

Helpful advice, thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest amiga-mark

I use 80w90 gear oil, can be a bit messy with "throw" onto the wheel. Maybe will put less on next time! Just bought a chain cleaner in case i need it in future. Will use WD40 to clean/loosen before using new cleaner, then dry and apply new gear oil.  :D

I've only just started doing the chain clean & lube maintenance at home, using the SDOC 100 white lube spray, after cleaning it with the WD40 chain cleaner spray, well worth the effort, saw DELBOY's vids on YouTube and he made the process seems much easier than i imagined, so hey ho, I gave it a go - happy days.

Englishman

I did have a TUTORO (Turn up, turn on, ride off) chain oiler which was brilliant but started to "play up" so I am afraid it went into the bin.  When it did work it was very good, fully automatic, no wiring and a simple installation.

Now I use Rock Oil, its a "wet" application with good anti fling characteristics if you following the instructions.  I always apply little but often..

Some who ride once a month on a sunny Sunday clean the chain after every ride and apply dry lube with a Q-Tip.

Awesome! I shall remember that! :D

My chain was gone on about 19500kms. There were no signs of wear up until one Sunday ride when the chain suddenly started chattering. It turned out that it was unevenly worn and had some tight spots. Changed about 1000kms later once the replacement set was delivered. Strangely it happened short after I used WD40 to make oil a bit less thicker (I was using 80w90 in my Tutoro which was too tick for sub zero temps). Looking at the videos about the chains it makes me wonder if wasn't the reason for the chain failure as it was always rather wet. But WD is penetrating oil and used for long it might have washed out the lubricant from the inside of the links... Or I might be worng.

TheEnglishman

Awesome! I shall remember that! :D

Nothing wrong with that and I really do know someone who does that.  However, my chain looks almost as good after 18000 miles of daily use.

And people - don't be cheap and experiment willy nilly - if your oil's too thick buy thinner oil!  It's not like it's expensive compared to a new chain and sprocket set. :ermm:

Rev Ken

My chain was gone on about 19500kms. There were no signs of wear up until one Sunday ride when the chain suddenly started chattering. It turned out that it was unevenly worn and had some tight spots. Changed about 1000kms later once the replacement set was delivered. Strangely it happened short after I used WD40 to make oil a bit less thicker (I was using 80w90 in my Tutoro which was too tick for sub zero temps). Looking at the videos about the chains it makes me wonder if wasn't the reason for the chain failure as it was always rather wet. But WD is penetrating oil and used for long it might have washed out the lubricant from the inside of the links... Or I might be worng.

I think you are wrong with reference to WD40 being a lubricant, and right when suggesting that WD40 was responsible for the premature failure of your chain. I know some swear by WD40 as I do for squirting into electrical connections etc, but I would swear at WD40 if using it as a chain lubricant!

For those who suggest WD40 is a lubricant, read the tin!

I claean and oil the chain once a week - which means every 800-1000 miles, and never had any issues.

I have found down the years, that the bikes i use daily tend to require less major maintenance, and the bikes i keep in the garage have more issues, especially with the chain.

Edited by R120

For those who suggest WD40 is a lubricant, read the tin!

Wiki states it is oil. And if I'm not wrong the oil is lubricant.

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[5] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. 

Still a very thin one which I think is the problem.

Rev Ken

Wiki states it is oil. And if I'm not wrong the oil is lubricant.

Still a very thin one which I think is the problem.

Agreed.

On front of can.

Stops Squeaks (Nearest to a property of a lubricant)

Drives out Moisture

Cleans and protects

Loosens Rusted Parts

Frees sticky Mechanisms.

On the handy hints pictures on the back it suggests it is a lubricant for simple tools such as garden shears and for padlocks - our chains need a far more 'robust' lubricant than that! 

WD have various products that are designed to clean and lubricate suggesting they also recognise WD40 isn't primarily a lubricant.

Guest goldfish

I'm inclined to agree - I cant see WD40 doing anything much apart from thinning out any existing lube on the chain which doesnt sound like a good way forward. I've only ever used hypoid oil brushed on thinly every 200 miles or so. Takes seconds and costs pence. Gives self cleaning chain too. I change my bikes more frequently than chains so it must work. And I get over 36000 miles on my bikes, every day, all weathers....

Englishman

Just as an aside doesnt WD40 stand for Water Dispersant attempt number 40 (before they perfected the product)?

WD40, engine oil, engine oil for wet clutch, gear oil, chain saw oil, olive oil, they are lubricants but the only common property they have is viscosity... One can not cope with high temperatures, one can not stay long enough on the metal surface, one is better with extreme pressure... The last is great for french fries! :D

Every application has its lubricant.

The best for motorcycle chain is gear oil (NOT automatic) because of its additives (mostly MoS2 a dry lubricant) when used with an oiler.

• Like 2