a little bit salty

Tonyj

had a clunking from the rear of my nc 750 dct at about 8k bike not even a year old .anyway thought it must be the chain as they are a bit ropey and it was looking a bit shitty as I have run it over winter, but I do lube it.

well after drowning it  in lube and kept adjusting the chain I heard the familiar knocking, but this time it wouldn't go no matter how much I fettled the chain . bugger .called the dealers and they advised me to bring it in to have a look but unfortunately they are a long way away for me , also they couldn't do anything for a few weeks due to holidays. so my local dealers who  were very helpful that being bellvue in southend looked into the noise and it transpires the bearings in the rear carrier where shagged, Honda are going to cover this. I feel this is right has im not new to bikes and less then 14k on the clock and they are shot . poor quality fittings I think. but heres the bit that's making my eyes water is ive said to do the 16k service and they advised the chain has seen better day again 14.5k not really a lot of miles though is it. so I asked for a price and was a bit suprised that the service and a did vx2 chain and  Honda sprockets works out at £578 +-........... the did chain was £52 more expensive but im hoping it will  last a bit longer then the year

service is £318+- chain kit fitted is £262 , Honda kit was £212 nearly went with this but couldn't force myself as I feel buy cheap pay twice

so if you know anyone whos after a kidney or any other duplicate organ give me a call :0)

• Like 1

But think how nice it will be to ride afterwards.. Hopefully.

Guest dentonlad

Seems a bit steep for the service, even allowing for the valve check and labour rates in the south east. Very healthy mark up on the chain and sprockets too!

Aren't you glad the Crosstourer's a shaftie.......

Seems a bit steep for the service, even allowing for the valve check and labour rates in the south east. Very healthy mark up on the chain and sprockets too!

Aren't you glad the Crosstourer's a shaftie.......

Been using it for town work and long distance this week , bloody hell the m11 has shrunk , got to watch those cameras . Missing the economy an,d the storage
Guest bonekicker

Tony I know I get a little lost--but can I just ask?? Why if Honda are covering the bearings costs---then why are they not covering the sprocket and chain??

And why are they charging F******* £318+ for service??? may I F******* ask??? :baby:

glencoeman

Honda will not pay for the chain & sprockets as they are considered as service items. Some manufacturers even consider fork seals as service items.

Being realistic, I don't think almost 15k miles from a chain is entirely unreasonable. It's not good, but it's not as if you haven't had reasonable use out of it. We all know the OE chains aren't the best around. I changed mine at about 5k miles because I didn't like the feel of it, though it was still "serviceable".

Wheel bearings should last almost the life of the vehicle, certainly 50k odd miles. We're seeing too many cases of failing wheel/sprocket carrier bearings failing. Not good. Duff bearings at production or bad fitting my guess.

I had a little hunt round and it looks like the sprocket carrier bearing is not a common use item among Honda models, I thought it was. Wheel bearings are a very common item. Other models use a variety of different carrier bearings for some reason, I can't understand why Honda wouldn't be a bit more consistent on this, no real reason not to use a common bearing in similar type bikes, but that's the bike industry for you.

They're certainly loading the cost for the chain+sprockets. A DID VX2 should be around £70 or 80 at most, Honda sprockets will be costly but still only around £80 the pair, the Honda kit lists at about £140 for chain+sprockets here http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-71541-71541-NC750XDE-2014-F_26-NC+750+X+ABS+DCT.html . It shouldn't take a dealership an hour to do chain+sprockets, never mind a labour cost of £100 plus.

The service costs certainly sounds high compared to what others have reported, even if they included the tappet check.

Shop around is the answer, if you have time.

Edited by embee

Regrettably my fellow nc'ers ive agreed to the job as I've got more money then sense ( not really boney ) no I needed it sorted and I feel they have run with the ball a bit it here . But that said I use this bike for work and it's got to be on the road earning it's keep so to speak .

The matter of the chain wear embee , well that was making a clatter at 8k and I could feel the very demise by the sound on the sprockets .plus I could pull it backwards no matter how many times I found the tight spot and adjusted it. That low mileage from the chain is questionable and it being dct I thought it would be easier on the wear as to ease the ham fisted changes by myself.

Bearings , well the sprocket rotated forward and backward but no side play which made me think it was the Cush drives gone south., it moved at least 4mm making a right old racket.

I'm sure if the dealer I usually use could have squeezed me in the prices would have been a lot more palatable ( kent honda ) Canterbury but that was not be .

I'll keep you lot updated btw I love this bike and enjoy it every time I ride it

Well got the little lady back with her new bearings and chain and pleased to tell you that it's running sweet . The dealers helped me out by taking the bike in and resolving it quickly .the service was the 16k one and had a DID chain fitted along with honda sprockets

• Like 1