Unlocking lock nuts on mirror stalks

Steve Blackdog

Steve Blackdog

Both of my mirror stalk locknuts seem to be welded to each other.  I am nervous about rounding off the faces of the nuts, as they seem to be made of very soft steel and are impossible to get off.

I am thinking of using a blow torch to try to loosen the nuts, but don't want to take all the paint off.

Has anyone else found this?

fred_jb

The lock nut is threaded the opposite way to normal, so you have to turn it in the direction that would normally tighten it in order to loosen it.    

Fred

• Like 1

I find the opposite -mine always seem to loosen! Suppose its easier than getting damaged when knocking them though

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Yes strange but true--left hand thread --how many things do you know that are left hand thread??

Lorry Wheel nuts on Near side or Offside ---one or the other--I'm trying to fadam it out!!!!  had to google it = Left hand Near Side. :baby:

scoot_to_boot

Had the same problem, (and I did try the correct direction) tried a heat gun, nothing worked for me, gave up.

Yes strange but true--left hand thread --how many things do you know that are left hand thread??

Lorry Wheel nuts on Near side or Offside ---one or the other--I'm trying to fadam it out!!!!  had to google it = Left hand Near Side. :baby:

Rolls Royce used left hand thread wheel nuts on the near side (similarity to trucks continue.......). I always remembered it as the wheel nuts tighten in the same direction as the wheel rotates. I don't know if they still do since they became BMWs. 

.... in case anyone is wondering, the action of the forces as the wheel rotates tends to tighten them rather than loosen them.

Guest bonekicker
scoot_to_boot --Gave up???  What doe's that mean?? I would rather Fail than Give up!!!!if I lived nearer I would gladly come and help.

Failing mean stripped the entire threads of and smashed the mirrors to smithereens.

Where's Fred??? I bet he's F******* sneaked off on F******* holiday again  :baby:

Steve Blackdog

Ah ha!  I'll have a go at that, then I'll be back with either a smiling or a frustrated face!

fred_jb

Ah ha!  I'll have a go at that, then I'll be back with either a smiling or a frustrated face!

What worked for me was putting a spanner on both nuts, adjustable if necessary, angled slightly apart such that when you put your hands around them and squeeze the spanner handles towards each other they will rotate the nut in the right direction, i.e. viewed from above the handle on the spanner which is on the top locking nut is to the right of the handle on the lower nut (I think I have this right, but just visualising it in my head so best if you check on the bike!) This will rotate the lock nut clockwise which would normally tighten it, but in this case will loosen it.  Feels weird, but works.

Fred

• Like 3
scoot_to_boot

scoot_to_boot --Gave up???  What doe's that mean?? I would rather Fail than Give up!!!!if I lived nearer I would gladly come and help.

Failing mean stripped the entire threads of and smashed the mirrors to smithereens.

Where's Fred??? I bet he's F******* sneaked off on F******* holiday again  :baby:

Yes yes, in my better days, I would have emptied that chalice to the bitter end, but I have prematurely become weak and hesitant. I thought about the 80 odd euros for the mirror and the 300 € for the brake assembly that I was about to strip the thread from, about the fact that the missus does not care about my mechanics antics, but just a bit about me not wrecking expensive kit gratuitously, and the imminently impending 10 day alps trip, and I slank away from the battle, hoping nobody would find out. I know I am a failure!

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

scoot_to_boot  I must say sorry to you--I  was not being nastie--but just trying to ??? make you try just that tinswinsybit harder--do you know what I mean? We don't all have the same talents and that's good--but we all can learn--firstly to keep the old Brain ticking over--second to save some money--but most importantly as you are going on a 10 day trip--it would be good to understand the basics--it will save a lot of time waiting around for someone to fix this or that.

I have --at great expense for you--arranged with Fred--to go along with you ---just in case you should require any assistance--he will need feeding and watering---and taking for a walk twice a day--I will PM you with Freds details ---have a lovely holiday---and don't forget the pics--we love pics. :baby:

Edited by bonekicker