Coolent

PNE

Hi all,

Does anyone know what coolent goes in the NC.

I ask this because after removing the belly pan for a good clean I noticed the coolent (a bit hard to see) was on the lower level.

So off to my dealers to buy some. At the motorcycle parts desk I ask the guy can I have some engine coolent (the one that's in my bike) he points to a shelf there's only one left. On the shelf is a bottle of motul coolent of which is pink, red in colour I point out to him that the stuff in my bike is a blue, green colour and I want the same stuff and I don't want to mix, his reply we don't do that.

I'm at a loss now as where to go.

Anyone know which and where to get coolent they put in our beloved NC's.

all honda dealers sell the premixed bottle of blue .. on car forums they tell you you can mix the colours as long as its the same type but some replies point out the longetivity is reduced if you mix them .. If its on lower level when cold i would not worry about it and wait to get same . . When i first got my bike i didnt know the torch under cowl in lowlight garage trick and to be safe i overfilled  by accident with some distilled iron water which then vented out ,it was summer so i wasnt to worried about freezing and just changed it all anyway during a valve check a few months later.

all honda dealers sell the premixed bottle of blue .. on car forums they tell you you can mix the colours as long as its the same type but some replies point out the longetivity is reduced if you mix them .. If its on lower level when cold i would not worry about it and wait to get same . . When i first got my bike i didnt know the torch under cowl in lowlight garage trick and to be safe i overfilled  by accident with some distilled iron water which then vented out ,it was summer so i wasnt to worried about freezing and just changed it all anyway during a valve check a few months later.

What torch trick please.

If on the lower level cold I would not worry about it , On car forums there's much discussion on mixing colours and on average...they say ...if its the same type it wont hurt but the anti corrosion properties might be compromised and effective life reduced.

If really worried ,like I was when couldn't see the level and didn't know the torch under cowl in low garage light trick ,I overfilled with distilled iron water which vented off . I wasn't too worried as replaced with new on an oncoming valve check .

All Honda dealers to my knowledge sell the premixed blue and I think that auction site also.

oops double post sry ...use a torch to shine under the clear expansion bottle and  it magically illuminates very clearly ..quite easy to push the bike up level or put a bit of wood under the side stand if wanting to be really fussy

• Like 1
Rocker66

Yes the dealers should sell the very same make and colour of coolant as in bike--why make it confusing?? :baby:  Trying to fob us off again??

If they ever do a Nobel prize for cynicism I'm sure that you would be the first winner

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Don't see cynicism at all--just plain facts--I am sure--no almost certain-- you would not by blue coolant and mix it with pink--But if there is a Nobel Prize of a  weekend away--free ice cream testing--then I'm your man :baby:

Rocker66

Don't see cynicism at all--just plain facts--I am sure--no almost certain-- you would not by blue coolant and mix it with pink--But if there is a Nobel Prize of a  weekend away--free ice cream testing--then I'm your man :baby:

It was the last bit of your post that I was referring to

ScaredyCat

Well, I didn't know there was a difference. Pink, Blue? I just thought you got the colour you liked best... black.. like my soul... 

Guest bonekicker

Coolant/Antifreeze--was made differently for cars with Aluminium engine blocks rather than cast iron blocks--and if you put in the wrong one --the engine corroded. :ermm:

If there is a difference between pink blue--then it should be sold as different--and not as that's all we stock---take it or leave it--that's what the main question/comment was about--and to save potential problems--quite rightly the member asked for our advice.

My advice is get the correct coolant--and a guide is the colour. :baby:

Edited by bonekicker
  • 3 weeks later...

An news on the correct coolant?

Just about to start using the chain line from the white can for the first time so want to stock up on the other precious liquids - I'm guessing motorbike 5w /40 or 10/40 oil is ok so bought a litre bottle and some 'ride on' puncture sealant for the back wheel.

Chain lube ffs. I'm hating preemptive text

The colour is a dye, it isn't functional.

As a guide only, green/blue tends to indicate relatively shorter service life, typically 2 or 3yr spec. Red/pink/orange/purple varieties tend to be longer service life versions, 5yrs typically. Not definitive, just a tendency.

Most important aspect for your bike is to use a silicate free variety (seal wear etc).

Like oils, coolants do vary in what additives they carry in order to prevent corrosion, and to some extent you get what you pay for, but in reality don't lose too much sleep over it. Some engines are a bit fussy (some VAG for example), but as far as I'm aware the NC isn't. I'd suggest using something with a recognised brand name, either a vehicle manufacturer or well known supplier (Castrol etc), it's likely to have a decent inhibitor pack and will definitely be suitable for the materials in the NC (iron/alum/plastics/rubber etc).

Personally I use Toyota Red in all my vehicles, it means I only have one coolant on the shelf, and so far (15yrs of using it) everything is still clean as a whistle. That is just a personal choice, other coolants are available! Many use Halford's long life with good results. Use distilled or de-ionised water for mix varieties (some come ready to use, some you mix 50/50 as directed on the label).

The additive pack does have a finite life so does need changing at intervals.

Don't get sidetracked by so-called waterless coolants (propylene glycol), all the industry uses versions of "traditional" ethylene glycol/water coolant and it does the job well. If you want to find out more there's loads of reading on wiki etc, but just be prepared to sort the wheat from the chaff when looking at sales blurb or opinions rather than data and fact.

• Like 1