Removing chain splatter from tyres

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi all

Any suggestions for the above. I have managed to get white chain Grease on the side walls of my tyre any suggestions on how to move it.

Cheers

Lloyd

The loobman is putting oil on the chain - not sticky grease on the tyre! Only £22.

• Like 1

The loobman is putting oil on the chain - not sticky grease on the tyre! Only £22.

Unless the nozzle fails or moves then it might ;-)

Grumpy old man

Unless the nozzle fails or moves then it might ;-)

Ooops!

White spirit or petrol on a rag...worked for me.

Guest bonekicker

I still cant beleave you lot are still putting these cans of oil on to your bikes---and allowing oil to splat your tyre--sounds a bit dangerous to me--it's like having your own permanent diesel spill on tyre :baby:

Grumpy old man

I still cant beleave you lot are still putting these cans of oil on to your bikes---and allowing oil to splat your tyre--sounds a bit dangerous to me--it's like having your own permanent diesel spill on tyre :baby:

What is the alternative?

Edited by Grumpy old man
Guest bonekicker

Put your bike on center stand and oil the chain manually--put some cloths on the floor to absorb drips--it takes 5 mins each time you come back--I use as always a mix of WD40 and engine oil--I buy the WD40 in a 5 litre can--fill the supplied pump spray half full and put about 6 table spoons of new engine oil in--give a good shake each time--spray onto top of chain pointing away from tyre --whilst turning the wheel--keep turn after you have applied it--any excess will drip off --and clean and lubricate at the same time--wipe any oil off tyre with petrol or similar--try it and see--you can spray almost any part of bike with it--frame-- locks--cables. :baby:

So far the loobman is ok for me - yes the nozzle might need adjusting occasionally and the filler cap has been replaced by a cork- but i can give it a press as riding along not when i get home and thn it will go on the floor!

Grumpy old man

Hi guys. Thanks for all the feedback why I didn't think of petrol I don't know. I have thought about the loobman but I could see it getting damaged by the pillion.I like the idea of the wd40/oil mixture, I'll give that a try.

Thanks again

Lloyd

WD40 is very good at cleaning....I wouldn't use it for lubing though

Put your bike on center stand and oil the chain manually--put some cloths on the floor to absorb drips--it takes 5 mins each time you come back--I use as always a mix of WD40 and engine oil--I buy the WD40 in a 5 litre can--fill the supplied pump spray half full and put about 6 table spoons of new engine oil in--give a good shake each time--spray onto top of chain pointing away from tyre --whilst turning the wheel--keep turn after you have applied it--any excess will drip off --and clean and lubricate at the same time--wipe any oil off tyre with petrol or similar--try it and see--you can spray almost any part of bike with it--frame-- locks--cables. :baby:

Works a treat -even if you go as far as the "offy" but what about folks who ride more than 20 miles from home?

ScaredyCat

I think giley's solution to this was to throw his bike down the road ;)

Guest bonekicker

The extra added oil is the lubricant--and it works just fine. :baby:  But if you all want to put another oil slick on the roads!!! that's another thing :devil:

Newoldbiker

Get a Tutoro automatic chain oiler.  They are fantastic.  I've had my bike for 2 years, 16K miles and I've adjusted the chain once!