Radiators anyone ? (notes from a hot place)

Guest GeoffThai

Guest GeoffThai

I read many of the topics and the excellent journey blogs with some nostalgia due to missing cold, damp weather and putting on extra layers to keep warm. Yes true.

My main issue in Thailand is keeping me and the bike cool and I have started washing the radiator as a regular task, to clean out the dust, sand and bugs etc. I have an add-on steel mesh guard to protect the radiator against stone damage but thinking hard, I cannot remember hearing of anyone suffering from a damaged rad and will leave the guard off next time I clean.

Has anyone suffered damage to the radiator?

Geoff

Guest dentonlad

One member got a stone into his radiator which had to be replaced. I think it was around £400. IIRC this was not that long after the forum was established. Hence the advice to everyone to get a guard fitted!

I'd think that the chances of a NC radiator suffering a total loss caused by flying debris is way down the risk list..............

I want a guard but wonder why they cost £50- it's only a fire type guard isn't it?

Well three punctures , 1 wheel bearing (rear) and 16k mixed riding fast A roads etc rad still not been hit ? So not to bothered about a guard . Probably have to eat humble pie now:0)

Guest bonekicker

The rad guards are a little over priced--when I changed bike--I keeped the previous one--but it was too small --so I made extensions for it--and it works fine .

Do You Feel Lucky Punk  ---- Is the Question??---- Leave it off----Or Put it Back On ???  :cry:

Guest Southerner

30 odd years of riding - never a holed rad', nor can I think of anyone I've known who has suffered such an event.

Can easily happen - just down to luck (or lack of...),

This is one of those things where you are either lucky or learn the expensive way.  I never had a holed radiator until I had a holed radiator. After that I have always fitted a rad guard, never had a holed radiator since.  For what they are they are overpriced though, small markets I guess.

Edited by shiggsy
  • Like 1

£400 plus fitting is getting into insurance claim territory, though thinking about excess's, motorcycle insurance seems to carry a heavy compulsory excess these days........still, like I said above, risk is low, never happened to me in nearly 40 years of water cooled bike riding.......if I see one looking smart (without the chavvy laser cut '750' flash or similar) offered for a fair price I might be tempted, but for now, I'll leave it.

£400 plus fitting is getting into insurance claim territory, though thinking about excess's, motorcycle insurance seems to carry a heavy compulsory excess these days........still, like I said above, risk is low, never happened to me in nearly 40 years of water cooled bike riding.......if I see one looking smart (without the chavvy laser cut '750' flash or similar) offered for a fair price I might be tempted, but for now, I'll leave it.

I like that one cheers :0)

Dave H

There's a local, to me, company that repair radiators for an awful lot less than £400.

Defender

You could have a nice custom aluminium one made for £400 or less!

• Like 1
Guest GeoffThai

I will leave it off in my search to be a cool dude, rather than a custom fit for a "Cool Dude".

Interesting points of view, thanks.

34 deg C today.