Cross Threaded!!

ncmf

I have done my first cross threading!

Its the rear brake caliper, whilst changing the pads, the further forward, larger bolt.  It looks like the first 3 or 4 threads are damaged. 

I started to put the bolt in from the other side, but it started to get stiff that way too so I didn't want to push it.

What can be done, it I get a tap for it, is it a standard size?  Should I try going in from the other side, can this do any harm?

When you say you started to put the bolt in from the other side, why did you do this? If it was to clear to start with did the bolt go most of the way in without any tightness? Did it then tighten up later on? You might be able to run a taper tap through the thread. I dont know what size you would need though. If the thread is damaged you might be able to fit a helicoil (or similar) thread insert.

It will be a standard metric thread and a tap will be available.

If you go that route, wind it in from the opposite side to ensure it cuts the same threads.

If you have a flat file, you could cut a couple of in line grooves in the end of the bolt (like a tap so to give a bit of a cutting edge)

Apply grease and wind that in from the opposite side too.

Either way, I would fit a new bolt when you've sorted it.

Hi Clive,

That sounds promising, I will try that.

David,

I'm not sure, it started to tighten up so I didn't want to push it without giving it further thought.  I am desperate for the bike this week, and am in Water End, so if you are handy with this sort of thing, I would happily reimburse you if you could look at it?

Hi Clive,

That sounds promising, I will try that.

David,

I'm not sure, it started to tighten up so I didn't want to push it without giving it further thought.  I am desperate for the bike this week, and am in Water End, so if you are handy with this sort of thing, I would happily reimburse you if you could look at it?

Water End?

Near Hemel?

• Like 1

PM with mob no on its way. Give me a call.

• Like 2

What a great fella!  He was here and had it sorted in minutes.  

Thanks ever so much Clive.  I would have been really stuck without your help this week, plus all the expense and  hassle of getting an immobile bike , or removing the part etc. so that was fantastic.

• Like 1
Dunnster

PM with mob no on its way. Give me a call.

Nice one Clive.

This forum and its members are ace.

Just shows you what a good forum with equally good members we have. Top job

You're welcome Mike.

I couldn't see a fellow member stuck, specially as I'm just up the road.

• Like 5

Thanks again Clive.

As you refused to allow me to give you anything for yesterday, I have donated to your just giving page.  Its a great cause and I would encourage everyone else to have a read of it too.

• Like 2

Mike,

That's very generous of you, thank you. :) :)

Rev Ken

My sister and I are 'competing' sh started on the local church tower, so I abseiled form the top of the big dipper in Blackpool, (250' with 420 steps to get to the top) and now she is going down the Spinnaker in April, so I'm stuck to beat that! (Perhaps I ought to join her and go down as a 'pair'.) still our chosen charities are quite happy that we compete. 

I can't remember if I have posted it before but on my Blackpool adventure, there was an 89 year old Normandy veteran and an Afghanistan soldier with only one arm left intact who also did it. It made my effort look pretty puny and was a most humbling experience.

• Like 1

My sister and I are 'competing' sh started on the local church tower, so I abseiled form the top of the big dipper in Blackpool, (250' with 420 steps to get to the top) and now she is going down the Spinnaker in April, so I'm stuck to beat that! (Perhaps I ought to join her and go down as a 'pair'.) still our chosen charities are quite happy that we compete. 

I can't remember if I have posted it before but on my Blackpool adventure, there was an 89 year old Normandy veteran and an Afghanistan soldier with only one arm left intact who also did it. It made my effort look pretty puny and was a most humbling experience.

How about trying this if you come down south

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3225118/High-flyers-come-earth-rope-abseil-Gherkin-Cheesegrater-Walkie-Talkie-building-City-Three-Peaks-challenge.html

I was up the in the "Sky Garden" of the Walkie Talkie tower (20 Fenchurch Street) this weekend and noticed a strange bit of scaffolding on the viewing deck which I couldn't really figure out a purpose for until it dawned on me that they must be planning to use it for abseiling and a quick google threw up the above link

Rev Ken

How about trying this if you come down south

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3225118/High-flyers-come-earth-rope-abseil-Gherkin-Cheesegrater-Walkie-Talkie-building-City-Three-Peaks-challenge.html

I was up the in the "Sky Garden" of the Walkie Talkie tower (20 Fenchurch Street) this weekend and noticed a strange bit of scaffolding on the viewing deck which I couldn't really figure out a purpose for until it dawned on me that they must be planning to use it for abseiling and a quick google threw up the above link

That would be a challenge, but I don't think I could raise £100,000!

To be fair I also wouldn't be confident I could do all three, unless I could do it over a few days!

That would be a challenge, but I don't think I could raise £100,000!

To be fair I also wouldn't be confident I could do all three, unless I could do it over a few days!

I'd love to, but unless I get in with a load of merchant bankers, there's no way I could raise that amount.

Just out of curiosity how did you fix the cross threaded issue?

I'd love to, but unless I get in with a load of merchant bankers, there's no way I could raise that amount.

You never know what merchant bankers may be riding NC's ;-)

• Like 1