700S - Bodywork removal for servicing

Newoldbiker

Newoldbiker

Hi - is there any step-by-step guidance to help me replace my air filter and the side panels on my 700S so I can fit the sub harness I bought today.  From what I have found thus far from reading the NC manual, to get in to the right side cover I have to remove the grab rails and seat cowl, which means I'll have to take the top box and rack off.  I have tried searching on the forum but have yet to find anything.  I used to have a Haynes manual for previous bikes but not one yet for the NC.

As ever, thanks for any help  :ermm:

glencoeman

You do not need to remove the grab rails or seat cowl but you have to remove both of the tank side panels as they are connected together with a screw at the front. You have to remove the left side first to get at the screw. The riders seat must be removed before you remove the side panels. Try and find a service manual for the bike as there are PDF ones available to download.

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

Very bland response from Haynes Manuals UK via some woman in the USA saying they might put together a book for this series of bikes - no doubt when the cows come home...

Newoldbiker

Cheers Syko - hope they didn't change it much for the 750 - don't worry about shaky hands - if you'd have been filming me it would be the swearing to worry about! :cry:

See my recently-filmed panel removal sequence for the "S" model, on U-Toob.

Here's the link:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwVVYhWMZ8

Happy wrenching !  Maybe your hands aren't as shaky as mine.....

That was really great. Thanks for making the video - I and most others of us, wil need that video at some time.

Well done :cheer:

Guest sykospain

I decided not to proceed with dismantling the bike further in my filming, because there's another You Tube video clearly showing the method of Air Filter Replacement, despite his first part - panel removal - being unlit and thus impenetrable - and anyway I wanted to keep the video as short as possible, with no narration for the benefit of those owners who don't spikka da eengliss.

Thanks for the kind comments.  I'm going to pull apart the rght-hand-side of my 750 "S" model, 'cos it seems that the Sub Harness ( part of the Accessory Harness installation ) is plugged into the six-way socket on the RH side of the bike, in contrast to the "X" series where it's immediately visible on the LH side.

My 12v cigar lighter socket accessory kit -  fuse, relay and cabling installation done by the dealer - has a Sub Harness with only ONE outlet - not much use for powering futher separately-fused accessories when it's occupied by the cigar lighter feed fixed to the sidewall of the Frunk.  The dealer insists that the Harness for the "S" series is different from the "X" bikes - I hae ma doots...

We'll see when the re-order arrives.  Paul at the NC700Shop in France says definitely that his Honda spare part Sub Harness has the 4 outlets, like the "X" harness.  That's why it's called the Quartet Sub Harness !  Maybe the one which the dealer fitted to my bike should be called the Solo Sub Harness....

Newoldbiker

The sub harness I bought was called a 'quartet' harness but has just 3 outlets!  What on earth is going on!  So we have Solo, Tri and Quartet?  Does the Bi harness exist anywhere?

fred_jb

The one for the X has four connectors.  There are 3 x 3 way but with only two pins connected - to earth and switched 12V, and 1 x 4 way with three pins connected - the extra connection being to an unswitched 12V supply.

Fred

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...