Noise from the fuel pump

Guest Markino

Hi guys,
in recent days I've noticed that when I turn on the key, of my NC750X, in the morning the noise coming from the fuel pump is louder/strange then when I turn on the key during the day (after work of after stops).
Is that normal?

Mine squeaks every time I turn it on ,only a second,(750x) my wife said ,he is saying Hi in bike language, I have no answer to that...Ride Safe..

:)

The problem is not that squeaks every time, my problem is that squeaks different only in the morning the first time I turn it on.

fred_jb

It probably takes a bit longer to re-pressurise the system when the bike has been standing overnight than when it has just been switched off for a short time.   However I suppose it could be indicative of a leak somewhere so you should check for any drips or smell of petrol.

Fred

Pretty normal! It increases the pressure to feed the injectors...

I always allow it to finish and then I press the starter button.

• Like 1

It probably takes a bit longer to re-pressurise the system when the bike has been standing overnight than when it has just been switched off for a short time.   However I suppose it could be indicative of a leak somewhere so you should check for any drips or smell of petrol.

Fred

That exactly what I'm thinking.... I've take a look on the ground under the bike but I can't see any petrol sign.

I'm the ony one? Any advice?

I'm on 44000 miles and can now hear a slight constant buzz from the fuel pump while idling ,don't know if I should get an after market one ready in case or will it last another 100k !.other than that the bike runs as well or better than new.

Guest bonekicker

Markino if only a small leak of petrol--it would not get to the ground--check closer to the engine--But saying that my NC did make that very same noise--if you don't find a leak---stop listening for the noise--listen to some music it's less stressful.   :ahappy:

Nope mine is the same always seems louder on a morning or when its been stood for a good while,nearly always get the squeak as well. To be honest it probably only seems louder as its really quiet where I live and when I'm out and about theres always extra background noise. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 2
Guest Arthritic Toe

Hi guys,

in recent days I've noticed that when I turn on the key, of my NC750X, in the morning the noise coming from the fuel pump is louder/strange then when I turn on the key during the day (after work of after stops).

Is that normal?

Just a guess, but it probably has more to do in the mornings.  Whatever its doing it must be priming something - the injectors or whatever.  If its only left for a short period there will probably be more residual fuel that hasnt yet evaporated.  Similar to the lawnmower :) you only need to push that squishy button when its been left in the shed for a week.

Edited by Arthritic Toe

Mine sounds just the same as yours in a morning but never after a ride .  dont worry to much about it.

Ok, this called "Fuel Pressure Normalization" in service manual (7-6). Every time you turn the ignition to on, the pump must work for about 2" to rise the fuel pressure.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Besides, fuel pumps usually fail in a catastrophic fashion.

They just stop working and  usually do so not by killing a running motorcycle, they won't re-start after a stop.

In rare occasions (on my BMW) the pump would make an altered noise w hen the fuel filter was full/plugg.ed