DEAD AS A DODO

gardener

I have had my nc750x sitting unused for the last few weeks due to sciatica.Started it the other week and started fine.Went down this morning to start it, and nothing when pressing the ignition.It didn't even start to try and kick in, just the click of the button being pressed.It has a datatool alarm so am thinking is it worth trying to jump start it or just change the battery? I could call the aa out again but leg is so painfull, I wont even be able to take it out for a ride to charge the battery :(

It is the dct version so wont be in gear.never touched the kill switch plus I always leave it on the centre stand. I will go down later and give it another try.The battery on the bike has drained down a couple of times before.Bloody datatool I think is draining the battery.

Rocker66

Sounds as though you definitely need to use a battery tender when parking it up for any length of time

• Like 1

Aftermarket alarm systems are notorious for being hungry. Battery charger is the answer, Optimate or similar smart charger suggested (or bin the alarm).

steelhorseuk

It's your datatool alarm mate. Look up the ampage it pulls! ( DataTool factsheet). 

I have one but I leave it disabled overnight. The bike is in an alarmed garage though!

Optimate conditioner will fix your battery! (other makes available as the other lads have mentioned!)

-Mark-

ps; hope you get well soon!

I had the same problem on a blade. The alarms eat the battery if left standing. Optimiser or equivalent smart charge left on when the bike is idle will solve your problem. I wouldn't recommend jump starting just in case it hits the electronics with some form of spike.

Guest bonekicker

Yes gardener we all find out the hard way--it only happened once and I like several other got a battery Optimizer--and each time I come home--plug it in--then as you found--injured for days or weeks--means a flat battery . :cry:

We all hope you get better soon--and always remember-- A bad Back is For Life and Not Just for Christmas--or whatever occasion it was  :baby:

I never bothered with the alarm option.

Bloody glad I didn't either!

If you have power where the bike is then use a charger they were bought out for vehicle's that had alarms fitted and not always being used, plug in and leave turned on for however long the bike sits there , alarm battery needs power.

In fact the battery issue with the alarm put me off of ever having an alarm again. I don't think people pay any attention in any event. I have a couple of sensors that let me know if anyone goes near my garage just so I can pop out and say hello.

I live in a flat so cannot use a trickle charger.Think i will get HondaCare

out to start it and ride it down to local dealer to get a new battery installed.

There's probably nothing wrong with the battery, it just needs charging. Can you take it off the bike to charge it? No point spending loads of money on a new battery which will go the same way as the existing one.

glencoeman

I remember years ago that a bike mechanic friend said not to use alarms as they sometimes stop the bike from working. I was lucky when I had a Honda CB500 as I was at home when the Datatool alarm (fitted by a previous owner) decide to stop working. A quick hour to remove the alarm and everything was OK again.

Feel like I've got to chip in here , I've had an alarm on a bike since I was made too by the insurance for the best part of 18 yrs,also working around some pretty rough areas , felt it gave some indication if it's within earshot to protect the bike. Although you are right about no one bothering . I heard my alarm on the scoot as the Range Rover had run it over and drove off , but never had any problems

Has I use the bike quite regularly .

Can you not disconnect the battery if storing for a long period.

The Datatool alarms do have various shutdown modes. I use mainly the 'Ferry' and 'Winter' modes. These reduce the power consumption (according to the manual). You could disconnect the battery if the bike is laid up for several months. It has an internal battery but I dont know how long this lasts.

I seem to remember with Datatool alarms if you disconnect the battery it blasts away .