Arcing spark plug lead

TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman

My right hand spark plug lead is arcing in the wet.  Is this just one of the usual manufacturing defects you get, so it'll be a simple warranty swap or are there 'better' after market jobbies?

Steve Blackdog

I've been out in the very wet and never noticed an issue.

If it arc's the earth you need a new one..Warranty me thinks. just tell them it miss fires in the wet.. and you have seen Blackpool lights at night.

TheEnglishman

WD40 isn't a viable fix when you do 17000 miles a year.

I can hear the service departments sucking their teeth already. If one of them tells me not to ride in the wet I swear I'll not be responsible for my actions.

I've been out in the very wet and never noticed an issue.

Yea but mine does and I didn't even have to pay extra!

• Like 1

I've not heard of any other reports of this issue, so I'd hope we can just put it down as an isolated (sic) fault.

I must admit when I saw the location of the plug leads on the NC I was a bit wary, various other bikes have been notorious for "wet plug lead syndrome", the SV650 Suzuki for example. On that there were a couple of very simple mods to cure it, my SV has always been OK.

Hope a change of plug lead will fix it, certainly should do based on the absence of other cases.

can't be a common fault as no one else has had it!What about our Monsoon rider in Thailand - he should know!

• 3 weeks later...
TheEnglishman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyeL31z2OAY

apparently Honda have replaced the plug top (it's ~£70!!)  So if you're riding along in the wet (or dry?) and your bike's really gutless when accelerating and sounds like this on idle then have a look for sparking around the plug tops.

Good healthy spark on that vid, shame it is going mostly to the wrong place :drool:

Lyn.

TheEnglishman

I have also seen this happen when the spark plug was defective.  That spark wants to go somewhere.

Tried that - swapped to new plugs - same issue.

• 4 months later...
TheEnglishman

And now the other one's doing it.  

Not my day.  Or Honda's on Monday  :afro: