HISS Light has just started flashing after 2 years!

Newoldbiker

Newoldbiker

This morning after nearly 2 years and 16K miles for no reason at all my HISS light is flashing when the bike is parked up.  This has never happened before!  I did re-set my clock as I'd fitted some Cree lights at the weekend and took the battery off.  Should I be worried?

Not sure why it hasn't happened before as I believe it's supposed to flash for twenty four hours after you have stopped, mine does.

The HISS light flashing for 24 hours after ignition is switched off can be enabled or disabled.

I can't remember the exact button press/sequence required to change this but I'm fairly sure it has been covered in another post somewhere so a search of the forum (or user manual) should provide guidance

steelhorseuk

It's working in default mode. Which is how it comes out the plant.

You must have had it switched off. See the user manual.

The default setting is for the HISS indicator is to flash for 24 hours whilst the bike is idle. 

Alternative setting is to switch the HISS warning indicator off.  

HISS works the same whichever setting you have.

-Mark-

Newoldbiker

Thanks for these.  Like I said for the first time ever I have done stuff to my bike for myself and to see this red light flashing this morning I was thinking I must have messed with something and it was going to cost a fortune to fix!  Panic over .....thanks again  :flowers:

Yes just to confirm flashing HISS status light can be enabled or disabled, operation of HISS itself cannot be disabled.

I found relevant section in User manual for disabling HISS flashing LED after ignition is switched off:

The HISS indicator starts flashing every 2 seconds for 24 hours after the ignition switch is turned off. To prevent or to restore the HISS indicator flashing:
1. With the ignition switch on, press and hold the A button (-> P. 22) for 2 seconds or more when the display function mode is odometer.
The HISS indicator flashes once.
2. Turn the ignition switch off.

P 22 just tells you that the A button is the one on the left hand side of the clocks
  • Thanks 1
Guest John_Minus_600

I tend to accidentally change this option every other time i full up when trying to reset trip counter... Currently it's flashing, by the end of the week it probably won't be...

I tend to accidentally change this option every other time i full up when trying to reset trip counter... Currently it's flashing, by the end of the week it probably won't be...

I thought only i did that..

Lyn.

• Like 1

And on this note, I'll swear blind that by having it flashing, you will have no random trip resets.

I read it somewhere, tried it and I've done a good 2k miles with not one reset, and therefore did not have to have a new dash reading 0 miles again, which is important to me.

• Like 1

And on this note, I'll swear blind that by having it flashing, you will have no random trip resets.

I read it somewhere, tried it and I've done a good 2k miles with not one reset, and therefore did not have to have a new dash reading 0 miles again, which is important to me.

I cannot say that your right as I dont know enough about what the problem with the clocks is / was. But I wont disagree with you. I have never had my HISS turned off in the settings and have never had a random reset. So have not had the clocks changed. Coincidence ??

Edited by scara
  • Like 1
Steve Blackdog

Me too!

Having done it too, I try to remember it as "reset on the right" when refuelling.

Guest John_Minus_600

Having done it too, I try to remember it as "reset on the right" when refuelling.

Murray you may have just taken the fun out of refuelling for me with that one... 

• 1 month later...

I turened HISS on my bike today. I guess it won't drain the battery in 24h?

No worries Kamil. My HISS light is always on. I didn't ride for more than 2 weeks during last Christmas & New Year. No problem with starting my bike after that :thumbsup:

Edited by Radarman
  • Like 1

AFAIK after 24h or something without engine start the hiss goes permanently off until the next start. My HISS is also always on and I didn't have any issues till now. 

• Like 1

Thanks for reassurance. I will keep it on. Like someone already said - it's another think to scare potential thieves

• 4 months later...
Mike5100

Just accidentally turned mine off whislt riding (trying to zero the tripmeter with the wrong button).  I assumed that simply holding that button in again for 2 seconds would toggle it back, but it doesn't seem so.  When I untoggled it I must have been displaying trip miles or more likely Ave mpg.  

Mike

• 5 years later...
Chris Mann

Ha! Just found this thread - was slightly panicking because my HISS light started flashing today on my (new to me) NC750S - I filled up yesterday so must have re-enabled the flashing mode while trying to reset the trip meter!

I'm guessing the previous owner had turned it off.

Glad it doesn't mean the bike has started its self-destruct sequence! :drool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Xactly

Owners Handbooks are wonderful things.....I turned mine off when I set up everything on delivery. Took ages to do it all, not least because it's different to my Crossrunner, on which I've done the same thing.