Permanent Tyre Repair

ncmf

Hi, any recommendations for a permanent repair kit.  I am able to get the tyre off, so was expecting those mushroom type plugs or similar?

Thanks

I always rough up the area of the tyre surrounding the puncture, ream out the puncture channel with a proper sized tyre reamer and apply a liberal coat of adhesive.

There's no taking chances with motorbike tyres!

Oh and I never go beyond 6mm with bike tyres.

Shame you're so far away!

Guest bonekicker

Mike I have 2 boxs of these plugs and glue --I got them after paying £26 for a tyre repair and they are great--not to be used at the edge--if you PM me--I will send you some. :console:

6mm?

yes that confused me too - maybe diameter of the hole?

I would only use this type of repair to get me going again and replace the tyre at the first place I could. Having another quick deflation on a motor bike in the wrong place could be life threatening and not worth taking the risk over for saving some money IMO

Stay safe and enjoy the bike!

Derek_Mac

6mm?

Maximum size of hole through tyre that can should be repaired as far as I know

Google tyre manufacturers to see their recommendations for tyre repairs. Most give very specific areas and sizes of punctures that can be repaired safely, assuming the repair is of a permanent nature, not those roadside temporary repairs to get you home. If in doubt, take it to a reputable bike tyre repairer.

PS £26 sounds steep for a repair to me, i wonder if that is typical?

Aye, 6mm is the largest hole I'd repair, some tyre firms allow holes of 8mm (Mitchelin if I remember rightly) but it must be in the centre third of the tread. Many firms don't officially allow repairs at all, probably to limit any potential litigation.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike I have 2 boxs of these plugs and glue --I got them after paying £26 for a tyre repair and they are great--not to be used at the edge--if you PM me--I will send you some. :console:

thanks Michael for the offer.  I have bought a box and they are great.  40 quid but about 20 and a reemer, glue, and something like a blunt pizza slice to push down the patch.  will almost pay for itself in one puncture, not to mention the reduced hassle of getting s flat bike or wheel and trying to find somewhere to repair it.

• 1 month later...

This will make your hair stand on end and it DID happen  a rider got a screw in a back tyre and put a can of sealant into the tyre that stopped the leak and off on a bike trip all went well for 90 miles then the screw came out .

Sat at the side of the road with a very flat tyre thinking how to block the hole a small twig from a hawthorn tree with a small not on it this went in the hole and he pump it up and it stopped up.

So after 5 mins it was still up so it now went a 100 miles to get him home it had to pumped up as it had a slow leak a new tyre fitted next day he now has a string kit  and  fitter  with him at all times.  full truth I saw the tyre with the twig in it 

John D       

Rev Ken

I've stuffed an Army Bedford RL's tyre with grass on a  scheme to get back to camp - it worked.....

Guest motorboy

Over many, many years I have tried a lot of different tire repairs and a lot have failed- including everyone shown on this post -the only one's that have never failed is the old sticky string and Dyna plug- it's samething just for smaller holes and I'm talking riding thousand's of miles on repaired tires

Edited by motorboy