Headlight not working UPDATE

t5er

Following my previous thread concerning my headlight not working ...it happened again.

Had to ride to my **** jab(whoopee) with only the parking light. Got there, turned the ignition off, turned it on again and hey presto it's working normally again.

Got home ,removed the headlight and started investigating.

To start with I removed the connector feeding the headlight and lubed the terminals put it back together and waggled various cables with the ignition on. The full beam lamp on the dash flashed on and off when I got to the connector on the back of the headlamp. Ha ha!!!!.

Trying to get the plug off was problematic and I assumed it was just a tight fit but on removal one of the pins on the lamp was discoloured as was the pin in the plug. Looking further there was evidence the plastic casing had melted.

Before reassembling the terminals back into the plug I cleaned,  lubed and gave them a squeeze.

I am now quietly confident that I have solved the problem.

To all NCers it would be worth giving this plug the once over just for peace of mind.

Ride safe

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
kayz1

It doesn't have a very high output lamp in it does it? 60/80watt type thing..\They tend to get too hot for plastic lap units..

Defender

A few years ago I was driving to work one dark morning an realised that the nearside headlamp wasn't working, when I got to work I got out to check it and the headlamp was on, so thought that it was my imagination.

The next day, the same thing happened, so when I got to work I gave the headlamp a bit of a thump, low and behold it went out, thumped it again and it came back on.

When I was able to remove the lamp from the fitting, when holding the base the whole thing wobbled when I shook it, so as it was the original lamp as was the offside lamp, so I replaced both of them with quality items and kept the remaining original lamp as a back up/spare.

In all the years I've been riding and driving I've never seen or heard of a lamp fail like that before?

BTW, some of you may have noticed I haven't used the term 'bulb', as that is technically a horticultural term and as a college lecturer used to say, 'bulbs are for growing, lamps are for glowing'!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just wanted to reply to kayz1.

I looked at the headlamp over the weekend and can confirm its a 60/55w.

In the three years of ownership I have never changed any lamp.

Tempting fate I feel.

Ride saf

On 12/03/2021 at 19:07, Defender said:

BTW, some of you may have noticed I haven't used the term 'bulb', as that is technically a horticultural term and as a college lecturer used to say, 'bulbs are for growing, lamps are for glowing'!

Excellent, try going into an auto parts store and asking for a head lamp lamp. Or a tail lamp lamp. ;) When bulb manufacturers clearly mark their packaging with the term bulb I think it’s safe to assume that they know a touch more than a college lecturer. YMMV. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
kayz1
3 hours ago, t5er said:

Just wanted to reply to kayz1.

I looked at the headlamp over the weekend and can confirm its a 60/55w.

In the three years of ownership I have never changed any lamp.

Tempting fate I feel.

Ride saf

Only said as i had a lamp shell melt once, never again in the dead of night along a dark French motorway:::alone and raining and me being a scardy cat;;

listener
14 hours ago, Tex said:

Excellent, try going into an auto parts store and asking for a head lamp lamp. Or a tail lamp lamp. ;) When bulb manufacturers clearly mark their packaging with the term bulb I think it’s safe to assume that they know a touch more than a college lecturer. YMMV. 

"Lamp" is derived from Greek, through Latin and Old French, and means "to shine".

So that includes any item that shines whether it's powered by LED, filament, paraffin, wax, etc.

"Bulb" is the shortened form of "light bulb". "Bulb" derives from the Greek for "onion". 

"Bulb" is more correctly the term for the glass envelope surrounding the filament wire (or LED, etc).

So, since most automotive light sources are enveloped by glass (or plastic), "bulb" is just as correct a term for a motor light source as "lamp" is ...

... unless you're talking vintage, in which case remember to take matches! :devil:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Jamesc

Language changes over time though so the Prof may have been correct at the time, but it's so common to say bulb either it is already in the dictionary in reference to lights or will be at some point

E-waste for example, that's a new one

Defender
17 hours ago, Tex said:

Nice try Simon, my late father was an auto electrician for well over 40 years, sadly I can ask him, but I think it's a historical term used because of the shape of it, a bit like the use of battery when it's actually cell?

I'm currently involved in a project at work which involves plotting the location and functionality of ever emergency light in a terminal, we have light fittings and lamps, no 'bulbs' except where they should be, in plant pots :angel:.

• Haha 1
Rocker66

Sounds like an argument over nothing to me as whilst the technical term may be lamp the term in common use is Bulb as printed on the packaging of the replacement ones in our cupboard.

A similar thing happens elsewhere such as when people refer to a locomotive as a train or a road roller as a steam roller regardless of how it’s propelled. I’m sure that there are many other examples but as long as the general public understand what is meant by the term does it really matter other than to those in the industry?

• Like 2
Andy m

Sloppy language, sloppy results. 

Filament lamp lets you differentiate between other sources like Halogen or LED.

They are all lighting globes with prong end fittings too, you don't want festoons, wedge, pin mounted, screw........

Andy

• Like 1
Defender
2 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Sounds like an argument over nothing to me as whilst the technical term may be lamp the term in common use is Bulb as printed on the packaging of the replacement ones in our cupboard.

A similar thing happens elsewhere such as when people refer to a locomotive as a train or a road roller as a steam roller regardless of how it’s propelled. I’m sure that there are many other examples but as long as the general public understand what is meant by the term does it really matter other than to those in the industry?

47 minutes ago, Andy m said:

They are all lighting globes with prong end fittings too, you don't want festoons, wedge, pin mounted, screw........

Andy

Hoover for a vacuum cleaner would seem to be a good example, another would have been to 'Xerox' something meaning photocopy? 

• Like 1
Rocker66
42 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Andy

I’m sure that if I were to go into an appropriate shop and asked for a light bulb every  assistant would know exactly what I meant which as far as I’m concerned would be all that matters. I bet if I asked if they stocked lamps I would be asked something along the lines of “ Yes sir bedside standard or desk?” Rather than being directed to the range of what I would refer to as bulbs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Rocker66

Collins UK dictionary definition of Light Bulb 

COUNTABLE NOUN

A light bulb or bulb is the round glass part of an electric light or lamp which light shines from.

• Like 3
Rev Ken
2 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Other examples such as 'Biro'  as the generic name for ball point pens and 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaners.

• Like 2
kayz1
3 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Don't forget the Hoover:niceone: Other types of cleaner are readily available :cheers:

Drat i didn't read your post Rev:::dumbo i am>

Edited by kayz1
  • Haha 1
listener
1 hour ago, Rev Ken said:

Other examples such as 'Biro'  as the generic name for ball point pens and 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaners.

Or 'Google' for an online search even if using a search engine which is not 'Google'.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Defender said:

Nice try Simon, my late father was an auto electrician for well over 40 years, sadly I can ask him, but I think it's a historical term used because of the shape of it, a bit like the use of battery when it's actually cell?

I'm currently involved in a project at work which involves plotting the location and functionality of ever emergency light in a terminal, we have light fittings and lamps, no 'bulbs' except where they should be, in plant pots :angel:.

Dude, if your dad was an auto electrician he would have called them bulbs. Fifty years in the motor trade and I never, ever, not even once, heard them called anything different. Come to think of it, the first time I did was on this very forum (pretty sure it was Andy M). :niceone:

6 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

No argument old mate! :) Merely a discussion. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Rocker66
1 minute ago, Tex said:

Dude, if your dad was an auto electrician he would have called them bulbs. Fifty years in the motor trade and I never, ever, not even once, heard them called anything different. Come to think of it, the first time I did was on this very forum (pretty sure it was Andy M). :niceone:

Not quite as a discussion is an exchange of opinions and views rather than as in this case people being told that they are wrong .

• Like 2
MatBin
4 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

I’m sure that if I were to go into an appropriate shop and asked for a light bulb every  assistant would know exactly what I meant which as far as I’m concerned would be all that matters. I bet if I asked if they stocked lamps I would be asked something along the lines of “ Yes sir bedside standard or desk?” Rather than being directed to the range of what I would refer to as bulbs.

Sounds like a Two Ronnie's sketch, four candles anyone? :)

• Haha 1
Jamesc

What about "skype" as a verb - as in let's Skype later 😆

Then we use Zoom...

8 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Not quite as a discussion is an exchange of opinions and views rather than as in this case people being told that they are wrong .

Fair point. 

9 hours ago, Tex said:

I was going to ask what's the difference between a discussion and an argument but won't in case it starts an argument.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DMB said:

I was going to ask what's the difference between a discussion and an argument but won't in case it starts an argument.

We could always discuss it first? ;) 

• Like 2
MatBin
1 hour ago, Tex said:

We could always discuss it first? ;) 

I think you would be wrong to do that :)

Edited by MatBin