8000 service cost?

Guest geordiedancer71

Guest CBR45

Mike, same as you.

They said there is no point looking at valves with my milage, at 2,400 miles.

I did say not to lube the chain or use any of that white spray grease that covers everything at service time, as the lube they use (Silokolene) flings and the grease I clean straight off.

So maybe saved half an hour an labour?? Could also be a post code thing, with different labour charges?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Mike5100

• JaseR

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had my 8000 service completed - decided to go with Kent Motorcycles in Barham - what thoroughly nice chaps. It's a 100 mile round trip for me, but what a breath of fresh air these guys are - real

2 quotes so far 156 Batley Honda. 150 castle motors castleford.

Good end result there Jase

Guest EasyTiger

I have the service book stamped by a Honda dealer - to my mind, that means they've done the servicing in accordance with the servicing schedule. If there was a warranty claim it would be hard for Honda UK to argue it hadn't been serviced properly.

Fowlers of Bristol quoted something like £165 - they reckoned it was 2 hours work, as a guide.

Today - 6th June - Fowlers in Bristol quoted me £347.83 for the 8,000 mile service on an X DCT...

Any other recent local quotes?

Guest EasyTiger

Next quote, 7th June: Bransons, Gloucester.

At first Colin said £160, then added, "Because of the valve clearances it is £220/230".

I am waiting for Thunder Road to come back to me...

Rocker66

If you had your bike done at Kent  you should have no problems as they are good lads.

The only down side being that now Lucy is leaving there will be nomore  of the worlds best fried bread available in H's Cafe

Great news for local riders in kent and anybody riding down the A2 to Dover Lucy isback cooking in H's Cafe

Remember to ask for the service as per Honda, not the dealer recommended one!

Guest Crusty

Remember to ask for the service as per Honda, not the dealer recommended one!

I'm not really bothered mate, as long as the book is stamped and the warranty is kept valid.

Guest EasyTiger

Next quote, 7th June: Bransons, Gloucester.

At first Colin said £160, then added, "Because of the valve clearances it is £220/230".

I am waiting for Thunder Road to come back to me...

8th June. Scott Simons at Thunder Road quotes £145.

They did Jase's bike including valve clearances for £139 earlier in the year.

A bit of a difference to Fowler's £347.83...

I will have to ask re Jase's tip - check the service is as per Honda...

Dealers often do their own service which is over and above the manufacturers recommended service, hence the differences in cost. Have your manual in front of you and ask them what they're doing for your money

Guest Crusty

Dealers often do their own service which is over and above local manufacturers recommended service, hence the differences in cost. Have your manual in front of you and ask them what they're doing for your money

Ahh, I see. Well going by the prices I've been quoted, and comparing them with some shown above, it looks like my local dealers are being very fair.

• Like 1
Guest EasyTiger

Summary - Local to Bristol:

Bransons £220/230. Fowlers £347.83...

Booked in at Thunder Road, Cwmbran - 8,000 mile service as per Honda schedule. £145.

2 to 2.5 hrs, Bike needs an hour to cool down before starting work, open from 8.45ish.

£10.00 a day for loan bike (X, S or GP500 - 2 parts of licence needed).

Rocker66

Booked in at Thunder Road, Cwmbran - 8,000 mile service as per Honda schedule. £145.

2 to 2.5 hrs, Bike needs an hour to cool down before starting work, open from 8.45ish.

They charge for a courtousey bike ??

Guest EasyTiger

They do Rocker...I don't know if that's an insurance thing...I'm looking forward to trying the S!

If they can do the service for £202.83 cheaper than in Bristol I don't begrudge the journey or the tenner...

Edited by EasyTiger

Yes, Thunder Road charge for courtesy bikes unless you've taken out their service package or the work being done is under warranty but as Easy Tiger said, TR are doing a good price on the service :) 

Guest Crusty

I've just been looking at the service schedule from Honda's workshop manual. There is no way there's more than 2 hours work, so £150 including oil / filters etc sounds about right to me.

• Like 1
shiggsy

Just had my 8K service with valve check at Kent Motorcycles, gave me a CBF1000 as a courtesy bike. All valve clearances spot on, they wrote them all down for me. They found the head bearings to be notchy, which I hadn't noticed, and they are trying a warranty claim for me because they think they shouldn't be like that at this mileage.

Seems like a good dealership to me, cost was £220, I'm happy with that.

I always get a free bike whenever I ask and it makes life easy when it's in for a service. I always try and ride a bike I have not been on before as well just to see how it goes. Mind you it is dangerous because if I like it there is always the chance I will purchase one and the dealer knows that!

My dealer is Ecosse Honda Aberdeen and they are great!

Rocker66

I always get a free bike whenever I ask and it makes life easy when it's in for a service. I always try and ride a bike I have not been on before as well just to see how it goes. Mind you it is dangerous because if I like it there is always the chance I will purchase one and the dealer knows that!

My dealer is Ecosse Honda Aberdeen and they are great!

On Wed due to the cafe at Kent M/Cs being closed Sue & I were loaned bikes to go into Canterbury to get a meal. I was given a CBR5600F a bike I would buy if I didn't want to use it for trips away and Sue was given a NC700S

bikerbampi

I got the Service Plan at Thunder Road Bridgend when I bought my bike £500 odd for 4 years with courtesy bike if needed.  Apparently it works out at 40% off.

• Like 1
Guest EasyTiger

Had the service today. £145 it was. Valve clearances checked and adjusted (worth doing then) when bike was cold.

I asked about replacing the DCT auto box extra filter and oil - they said that happens at 16,000 miles.

Frightening excess (£1,000) on the loan bike - can you get an insurance to cover this?

Loaner was an S. Don't ride one if you have an X. The S feels lighter, more flickable, has featherweight clutch and throttle, and nothing but clear air on body and helmet...

I did 200  miles on it, no weight on wrists, comfortable position, responsive, firm and slippery seat worked for me, very involving...made my X feel a bit lardy afterwards.

Perfect bike up to 55....

Oh, and Thunderroad replaced the feeble 9-month old, rusted tax holder - without any charge...