8000 service cost?

Guest geordiedancer71

Guest Southerner

I booked my 8000 mile service yesterday, initially, the dealer insisted that the valves needed checking, after I pointed out that it wasn't in the manual he grabbed one from a new NC to double check at which point he relented and apologised for the mixup, final quote was £130. I think the dealers might be getting the wrong literature from Honda or someone lazilly changed the heading from 700 to 750.

To be quite honest, it's an absolute disgrace if a Honda main dealer doesn't know the interval for such tasks. They shouldn't need to be corrected by the customer.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Mike5100

• JaseR

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had my 8000 service completed - decided to go with Kent Motorcycles in Barham - what thoroughly nice chaps. It's a 100 mile round trip for me, but what a breath of fresh air these guys are - real

2 quotes so far 156 Batley Honda. 150 castle motors castleford.

Good end result there Jase

Took my s in for its 8000 mile service yesterday,cost 138 quid no valve clearance until 16000 service do need a new chain and sprocket though.

New chain after only 8k miles - have you been doing motocross? :)

I'm getting mine done at 12k miles and I could probably eke out another 1000 or so but I just can't be bothered adjusting it every few weeks as I have been.

I better check on that one nelmo not sure if the dealer is trying to get a bit more business out of me I am a bit of a steady eddy rider . They said I had a few tight spots on the chain?

Guest EasyTiger

Bike (700X) in for 8K service today. 

Went with Bransons in Gloucester. Was quoted £250+ (more depending on how much valves need adjusting)  :cry:

What did you pay?

Guest The saint

What did you pay?

It ended up coming to £285. There was some minor valve adjustment required so I thought this was fairly reasonable (?). Everything else was apparently fine, and they also quoted me £120 for a new front tyre as it's probably due in a few months but I'll be shopping around for this. 

It ended up coming to £285. There was some minor valve adjustment required so I thought this was fairly reasonable (?). Everything else was apparently fine, and they also quoted me £120 for a new front tyre as it's probably due in a few months but I'll be shopping around for this. 

Chris 285 quid i am choking this is designed as a cheap bike to run and service thats like a top end BMW service costs.  when i was last at Dobles collecting from my first service i asked how much for the next was quoted 220/240 as i choked he said it was a big one  i asked what was being done and they came out with the valve clearance bit i said it was a 750x this is not due to be inspected till 16,000 then the price came down i think they just try it on.

it seems that some dealers rely on us being lazy not checking around or reading our owners books ect funny but this must be the case as they are mostly booked up 2/3/4 weeks before you can get booked in, so the consensus must be that for every one that knows the price is not right or delves deeper into reasons for the high costs and questions further on why we are being quoted for work that is not required their will be 8 people that don,t question or research and read there service info in the owners book.

Too many of us just capitulate and accept what we are being told, disappointing to say the least its just cost the my brothers business as he has just brought a new bike their for this very reason.

when he looks to by his 750X in a couple of months he has sworn he will be looking elsewhere as well, their loss  as the sales team are always great, shame about the after sales service team i would prefer integrity rather that polite sir's and misinformation/misleading info as this particular service center has moved into a purpose built building the owner Mike Doble  needs to shake up this side of his business word gets about then he would be being booked up 3/month in advance and looking to further expand on the good honest integrity of his service team   What A shame as my new purchases 3 bikes over 14 months was very good

What level service are people getting on the 8k service (Only done 5637 miles)?

I've just got back from collecting my bike and they did a level 1 service and checked the valves (they were within tolerance) and they fitted the Aprilia Dorsoduro handguards and it cost me £199

the book says 16000 miles for the 750 or 8000 for the 700 nothing about  the or  1 year bit  for this item to inspect and adjust if required

Edited by DB1965
Mike5100

my dealer is quoting £150 for the 750 (doesn't need the valve check at 8000 now).  Seems to me he is £15 to £20 over the norm?

Mike

Guest The saint

Chris 285 quid i am choking this is designed as a cheap bike to run and service thats like a top end BMW service costs.  

I know it's quite a lot but it was a full service + valve clearances. My problem is that I'm still paying the bike off and I wanted to keep a full Honda service history. I could probably have shopped around a bit, but it was convenience as much as anything especially with the loan bike.

I know it's quite a lot but it was a full service + valve clearances. My problem is that I'm still paying the bike off and I wanted to keep a full Honda service history. I could probably have shopped around a bit, but it was convenience as much as anything especially with the loan bike.

Hiya Chris as long as the book is stamped its the  service history and even if you just by buying  the parts from some dealers they will stamp the service book its not going to affect the used sale price regarding who is doing the servicing and the full service is nothing other than what they did for the 600 mile or did they change the brake fluids and coolant i doubt mate, and that's just the point i was making don,t take me as being rude. it's back to them relying on us being a bit lazy.

Did they hit you with the £1200 excess on the loaner and then try to flog you a £20 charge and we will then reduce that to £250 excess only . i have no problem with paying for a service and understand they are in business to make a living  but i not going to be ripped off mate  :thumbsup:

Edited by DB1965

my dealer is quoting £150 for the 750 (doesn't need the valve check at 8000 now).  Seems to me he is £15 to £20 over the norm?

Mike

yep i think so to so learning to do it all myself and only use mech for stuff i not confident who i trust to do or until i learn  :lol:

Guest The saint

Hiya Chris as long as the book is stamped its the  service history and even if you just by buying  the parts from some dealers they will stamp the service book its not going to affect the used sale price regarding who is doing the servicing and the full service is nothing other than what they did for the 600 mile or did they change the brake fluids and coolant i doubt mate, and that's just the point i was making don,t take me as being rude. it's back to them relying on us being a bit lazy.

Did they hit you with the £1200 excess on the loaner and then try to flog you a £20 charge and we will then reduce that to £250 excess only . i have no problem with paying for a service and understand they are in business to make a living  but i not going to be ripped off mate  :thumbsup:

They topped up the rear brake fluid, not sure if they changed it. I'm not hugely mechanically minded (although I'm not stupid*) and bikes are a whole new ball game for me. Even though this was a little steep compared to some quotes on here, I don't feel as though I was ripped off. I didn't bother with the loan bike excess reduction.

How much would you be willing to pay for this service out of interest?

* personal opinion hehe

Edited by The saint

They topped up the rear brake fluid, not sure if they changed it. I'm not hugely mechanically minded (although I'm not stupid*) and bikes are a whole new ball game for me. Even though this was a little steep compared to some quotes on here, I don't feel as though I was ripped off. I didn't bother with the loan bike excess reduction.

How much would you be willing to pay for this service out of interest?

* personal opinion hehe 

around £130 Chris  im not particularly mechanically minded either Chris i would call myself a typical person with plenty of common senses u-tubes a wonderful thing as are people on here and also the tinternet in general first time i looked at cleaning brake caliper and changing the cills went and brought a old on from the breakers no an NC for a tenner and 8 quid for the set of piston caliper rubber sills, got the owners manual of the net and striped it cleaned it rebuilt it. got it functioning correctly had a mate that done many check it over for him to check as well never to old to learn Mate  and it gives me the satisfaction of knowing i did it myself which always makes me smile their are many things on the bike we can do ourselves if we are willing to have ago   Some times mate just got to get out of the comfort zone Chris we never stop learning mate  :whistle: sorry chris just don,t like seeing or hearing about people being ripped off mate where,s all the integrity gone ehh

Edited by DB1965
Guest Southerner

Chris 285 quid i am choking this is designed as a cheap bike to run and service thats like a top end BMW service costs.  when i was last at Dobles collecting from my first service i asked how much for the next was quoted 220/240 as i choked he said it was a big one  i asked what was being done and they came out with the valve clearance bit i said it was a 750x this is not due to be inspected till 16,000 then the price came down i think they just try it on.

it seems that some dealers rely on us being lazy not checking around or reading our owners books ect funny but this must be the case as they are mostly booked up 2/3/4 weeks before you can get booked in, so the consensus must be that for every one that knows the price is not right or delves deeper into reasons for the high costs and questions further on why we are being quoted for work that is not required their will be 8 people that don,t question or research and read there service info in the owners book.

Too many of us just capitulate and accept what we are being told, disappointing to say the least its just cost the my brothers business as he has just brought a new bike their for this very reason.

when he looks to by his 750X in a couple of months he has sworn he will be looking elsewhere as well, their loss  as the sales team are always great, shame about the after sales service team i would prefer integrity rather that polite sir's and misinformation/misleading info as this particular service center has moved into a purpose built building the owner Mike Doble  needs to shake up this side of his business word gets about then he would be being booked up 3/month in advance and looking to further expand on the good honest integrity of his service team   What A shame as my new purchases 3 bikes over 14 months was very good

David - is your next service going to be the 8000m/1 year?

Doble quoted me about £130 for that one. That was based on an 'annual' check per the book, because I expect to have no more than 4K miles on the clock at one year old on 1st March 2015.

Edited by Southerner

David - is your next service going to be the 8000m/1 year?

Doble quoted me about £130 for that one. That was based on an 'annual' check per the book, because I expect to have no more than 4K miles on the clock at one year old on 1st March 2015.

that's exactly my point from what i was quoted to what you have been, no set charges different and varies to bodies that come in the door.

yep its that's the one it's going to be around early march April latest 2015 that will be when i get to 8/9000 currently on 5000 at moment   but going to do this one myself as theirs nothing in the book i feel can,t do myself,  will l take the wheels off to get the PR3/4's  fitted &balanced by them if thier price is fair

Edited by DB1965
Guest Southerner

that's exactly my point from what i was quoted to what you have been, no set charges different and varies to bodies that come in the door.

yep its that's the one it's going to be around early march April latest 2015 that will be when i get to 8/9000 currently on 5000 at moment   but going to do this one myself as theirs nothing in the book i feel can,t do myself,  will l take the wheels off to get the PR3/4's  fitted &balanced by them if thier price is fair

I should add that P&H didn't consider a lower cost annual service and quoted me £245 + VAT! With no valve work it's still a pretty minor service. And I just found what Doble quoted me  - £145 (inc VAT) for the annual plus £20 off that with the vouchers I was given at delivery, so I'm happy with £125.

yep john i would have been happy with that price as well

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gulveal

Just had my 8000 mile/2 year service at Damerell's in Cornwall.  £153.48 Including changing the brake fluid, new rear brake pads and a courtesy bike.  I was disappointed that they didn't do a valve check.  They said they couldn't because the engine wasn't stone cold.  If they had told me that this was desirable I could have arranged to leave it overnight with them.  They also commented that my chain and sprockets looked to be about half-way through their life.

Guest Southerner

Just had my 8000 mile/2 year service at Damerell's in Cornwall.  £153.48 Including changing the brake fluid, new rear brake pads and a courtesy bike.  I was disappointed that they didn't do a valve check.  They said they couldn't because the engine wasn't stone cold.  If they had told me that this was desirable I could have arranged to leave it overnight with them.  They also commented that my chain and sprockets looked to be about half-way through their life.

David, I presume you have a 700.....
Guest gulveal

Yes, sorry I should have made that clear.  I realize that 750s do not require a valve check every 8,000 miles.  I assume that this isn't because of any changes, more that they found the 700s didn't really need the check so often.  If this is the case I would be less bothered about not having the check this time.

Guest Southerner

So the dealer hasn't actually carried out the service per Honda's schedule.

99% sure it won't be a problem technically, but if the bike's still under warranty it might be, should there be a problem (which there won't, but you know what I mean).

Guest gulveal

The warranty runs out on the 19th December this year,  so that is not really an issue, but obviously I am still disappointed.  The book is still stamped of course.

Had my 8k service done at Norton Way Honda in Letchworth. £160 and the service (in both senses) was excellent. (Worthwhile noting that the bike is a 750 DCT). Steve the mechanic is happy to talk you through the work on the bike. Initially quoted £260 for the service, which I challenged, and the service manager (Bryan) quickly resolved the issue.

My bike has now been in there four times in the last month (service - warranty - accident repair - warranty). Heated grips failed; quickly resolved. And at the same time they noticed a recall on the clocks (which were changed today). I didn't get a letter to notify me of the clocks recall, which is interesting!

Edited by simon
Mike5100

Had my 8k service done at Norton Way Honda in Letchworth. £160 and the service (in both senses) was excellent. (Worthwhile noting that the bike is a 750 DCT). Steve the mechanic is happy to talk you through the work on the bike. Initially quoted £260 for the service, which I challenged, and the service manager (Bryan) quickly resolved the issue.

My bike has now been in there four times in the last month (service - warranty - accident repair - warranty). Heated grips failed; quickly resolved. And at the same time they noticed a recall on the clocks (which were changed today). I didn't get a letter to notify me of the clocks recall, which is interesting!

That's very similar to my experience - my dealer took the chance on replacing the clocks even though neither they nor I had got a letter.  Mines been in for warrnty, service, accident repair, and new tyres .... but fortunately they did them all on the same day.  I am feeling slightly guilty after reading that you paid £160 for the service on the 750X DCT - I told the dealer that his quote of £150 was £20 too high compared to what everyone else was charging, so they put my preferred expensive Castrol perfomance racing oil in at no extra charge.

Mike