8000 service cost?

Guest geordiedancer71

Brian, I had to change the date of my service to this Wednesday the 5th at 9.30 a/m.Yes it would be nice to meet up ,mind you ,us old people(young 66) we have all the time in the world to meet up...Ride Safe..

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Mike5100

• JaseR

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had my 8000 service completed - decided to go with Kent Motorcycles in Barham - what thoroughly nice chaps. It's a 100 mile round trip for me, but what a breath of fresh air these guys are - real

2 quotes so far 156 Batley Honda. 150 castle motors castleford.

Good end result there Jase

Had my 600 miles service at Honda Newton Abbott,£118 very impressed,new owners, same mechanics,will be going back for my next service...Michael I was told by Honda main office that the valves need doing every 16000 miles, I would ask them why they done the valves....Ride Safe..

I have been reading this page with interest,before I bought my NC 750 x I did a lot of research( , owned a lot of bikes over the years) and I one hang up I have had ,the cost of servicing etc, when I bought my first Triumph I rang Hinkley, were they make the bikes, found them very helpful ,so I did the same with Honda at Swindon ( head office) and one of the question I asked ,was when do the valves need any work done to them ,they told me check/adjustment/ renew when it's 16000 miles, not first service or 8000 miles, give them a ring and ask the for the sales /service section they will be very helpful ,and must importantly they safe you money....Ride Safe..

Guest victor9098

Just had my 12,000KM service today. Dealer charged €196 (£162-ish). Nothing to report really.

They only issue was with the heated grips I had fitted when I got it, Daytona's, they had not been working so dealer replaced under warranty, no quibble. Actually he said over the last several years they had sold hundreds without a problem, but the last 2 months I am the 3rd to come in with the same problem. So maybe a dodgy batch?

Amazed at how easy it is to keep this bike running, coming from 5 years on Buells. Did not need to top up oil once and the chain was still within the recommended slackness. I do miss the belt drive, the chain maintenance is the only thing I need to keep on top of. Oh and the MPG... love this thing.

Keep the rubber side down.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scottiebw

My 61 plate NC700X put through its 8000 mile service today (actual 7000 miles).

Intermediate service - £119 (reduced). 

Front tyre down to 1.6 mm,

rear tyre down to 2mm,

chain link seized and rear brake sticking.

All in for £419.  

Think I need a good look at my chain maintenance skills!!!

Mike5100

I'm seriously thinking of the 535 upgrade.  I did 12k miles on a Versys with virtually no chain maintenance.  Passed it on to another guy who does look after his chains and it lasted him until 23k miles.  My Honda NC700X chain was seriously troubled at 12k miles but struggled through to 14k when I traded it in pouring red dust from every orifice.

This NC750 X has had more than my usual level of care and yet at 2000 miles last weekend I'm sure some of the links were sticking.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Derek_Mac

Mick, somebody made a handy video of the whole process.

Edited by Derek_Mac
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
ScaredyCat

Ok,  a little confused over all the pricing. My 700x is at around 4k miles 12 month service is August. I'll probably be at 5.6k by then. Do I need the valve check done then? If not do I need to go back again at 8k?

Prices seem to be all over the place from £140 -> £379 ... What should I expect to pay for basic oil / filter / brake pads ? and the 8k (valve check service) ?

Guest EasyTiger

Here's what I paid for parts for an interim service earlier this year.

For a 2012 X DCT.....

The part no. for the clutch oil filter is    15412-MGS-D21, (£6.50), (Fowlers' prices 21/01/14).

and for the O-RING 39.8 X2.2 9AR 1302-PA9-003      (£2.80)

Regular engine oil filter             15410-MJC-505   (£9.58)

and washer drain plug              94109-12000        (£0.59)

Oil to your specification or Honda recommendation...

VAT on top....

Valve adjustment is easy on the 700 as vid above, not the big deal some dealers make out. Brake pads - check and clean, but shouldn't need a change at 5.6 unless you are a high-speed point and squirt rider - and you don't even use your rear pad! You may have seen the widely varying prices - local dealer quoted over £200 more than I paid including the cost of going to another country for the service... ;-)  Worth shopping around.

Edited by EasyTiger
ScaredyCat

Here's what I paid for parts for an interim service earlier this year.

For a 2012 X DCT.....

The part no. for the clutch oil filter is    15412-MGS-D21, (£6.50), (Fowlers' prices 21/01/14).

and for the O-RING 39.8 X2.2 9AR 1302-PA9-003      (£2.80)

Regular engine oil filter             15410-MJC-505   (£9.58)

and washer drain plug              94109-12000        (£0.59)

Oil to your specification or Honda recommendation...

VAT on top....

So a couple of hours work at most for the whole lot? The video says the bike needs to be cold - so it's going to have to be left over night with them?

including the cost of going to another country for the service... ;-)

Hehe, I see what you did there..  :logik:

Guest EasyTiger

The bike needs to be cold is in case there are valve adjustments.

I brought mine in first thing in the morning, and collected at the end of the day.

Overnight would work if it suits you ...

As I have posted before, in June 2013, Fowlers in Bristol quoted me £347.83 for the 8,000 mile service on an X DCT...

Bransons in Gloucester quoted £220/30.

I went to Thunder Road Cwmbran who did it and checked the valves for £145.

They also gave me an S for the day to play on in Mid-Wales. (Take both parts of your licence...).

Two hours labour tops. One and a half if slick.

Plugs (1FR6G11K - 1314) are £19.13 each net. These should not be needed until 32,000 miles.

Air filter (17210MGSD30) is £29.82 net. New one not needed at 8k unless riding in exceptional dry, dusty conditions.

Edited by EasyTiger
  • 1 month later...
Guest dentonlad

8000 mile service today at Rochdale Honda. Valve check revealed one inlet valve at .229 rather than .178. Total bill including 3 hours labour was £203.03.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had mine done at John Harris MC in Crowborough - he quoted me 'about £200' on the phone but the cheeky git didn't mention that didn't include VAT  :mad:   - so £280 all-in - v. annoyed  :mad:  :mad:

I guess he did do the valve check and he reckoned one of the exhaust valves was slightly off perfect (but still well in-spec)...not a lot of faith in that as he also took off my rear hugger because he said it was cracked - but he neglected to tell me when I picked the bike up (although it was written on the invoice, I suppose). I also doubt the air filter needed changing at £30 (+ VAT :wacko: )...

I was going to do 'proper' services for the first 2 years while under warranty and then service myself (like I did with my last bike) but I'm not used to paying for servicing and I feel like I've just had a personal 'meeting' with Rolf Harris  :hmm:

Edited by nelmo
Rocker66

Just had mine done at John Harris MC in Crowborough - he quoted me 'about £200' on the phone but the cheeky git didn't mention that didn't include VAT  :mad:   - so £280 all-in - v. annoyed  :mad:  :mad:

I guess he did do the valve check and he reckoned one of the exhaust valves was slightly off perfect (but still well in-spec)...not a lot of faith in that as he also took off my rear hugger because he said it was cracked - but he neglected to tell me when I picked the bike up (although it was written on the invoice, I suppose). I also doubt the air filter needed changing at £30 (+ VAT :wacko: )...

I was going to do 'proper' services for the first 2 years while under warranty and then service myself (like I did with my last bike) but I'm not used to paying for servicing and I feel like I've just had a personal 'meeting' with Rolf Harris  :hmm:

If I were you I would be voting with my wallet and going elsewhere next time

Guest Kildareman

You shouldn't really have any problems doing the valves yourself as they are screw & locknut.  Used to do my own when I had a VF400FD - every two months - mega commuting mileage before you ask.

If I were you I would be voting with my wallet and going elsewhere next time

Darn right - it will be to that well known Nelmo Garage  :getlost: . If I'd done it myself, that service would have cost me maybe £50 in parts (although I wouldn't have bothered with a valve check at such a low mileage).

I've paid the extra, effectively, for a stamp in the service book so if I need to make a warranty claim between now and March (when the bike is 2 years old), I won't have any hassle.

renatojfv

I paid £265.50 for my 8000 mile service 3 weeks ago. Had it done at Doble's in Croydon. Bear in mind that this fee includes a charge for the insurance on the replacement bike i used that day.

Probably a bit expensive, but i have no complaints from that dealer. From Sales to AfterSales they have always been helpful.

arkwright55

Same here, Renato, 8000 mile service, plus they phoned me to say front brake pads would need changing soon, so would they like them to change them while bike was on the rack. Like  a fool I said yes without checking the cost. Grand total £447 !

bazza

Still trying to find out where to get a workshop manual.I have read that valve clearance adjustment is the simple lock nut type rather than the more tricky bucket and shim - but really want a book.

Where do I get one?

Guest dentonlad

Still trying to find out where to get a workshop manual.I have read that valve clearance adjustment is the simple lock nut type rather than the more tricky bucket and shim - but really want a book.

Where do I get one?

Barry,

I don't believe that there is a freely available workshop manual for the 750 yet. However, if you become a full member by giving Ted a donation, which allows him to keep this fine forum running, you will gain access to the "Full Members" section, where you will find all sorts of goodies that relate to the uncannily similar NC700. If you follow my drift........

Guest nico

I am a bit confused about te valves needing inspecting/adjusting at 8000 miles as according to the handbook it needs doing  every 16000 miles as is the case with most Honda motorcycle engines. I would have thought this would be far more likely as the engine is derived from a car one which normally have longer service intervals than bikes.

Nic Lancaster Lichfield.

bazza

Barry,

I don't believe that there is a freely available workshop manual for the 750 yet. However, if you become a full member by giving Ted a donation, which allows him to keep this fine forum running, you will gain access to the "Full Members" section, where you will find all sorts of goodies that relate to the uncannily similar NC700. If you follow my drift........

THANKS Dentonlad.