Fuel reserve flasher on the NC700X/S

Guest gunshot72

Guest gunshot72

Can other riders let me know when your flashing reserve bar comes on? My first one appeared at 165 miles which I consider low for this bike considering the reviews, but then I do ride fairly fast. I've never ringed the engine up to rev limit as it's still breaking in so I was expecting a few more mikes before reserve. I am 15 stone though! All muscle! :D

Edited by gunshot72
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• JaseR

• Fishmanboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update to this post I got my reserve flasher coming on at 177 miles today. I then rode for another 43 miles on reserve before I ran out completely. So 220 miles out of a 14.1 litre tank with a 1

I have been keeping a check on my fiel consumption my worst was 71.3 MPG & the best 85.89. the average over all my fill ups is 78.74 MPG. The furthest I have travelled before filling up so far is

Found the receipt! Of course it's going to need a few more figures to work properly, but we're off to a good start. Let's see if I can keep it going...

Fishmanboy

According to the handbook the flashing single bar means that you have 2.9litres left... whatever that means in miles lol

I get over 165miles out of the tank on my SV650... I hope i get more the NC as it was one of the reasons im swapping so I dont have to fill up everyday,,,, then again i'm only pushing about 10 and half stone though... (not all muscle... more like all pizza and beer haha)

If you have 2.9ltrs left that means you've used just over 11 for approx 63mpg.

You'll get more as the engine loosens up a bit.

Fishmanboy

63mpg still isn't bad. I get that out of my SV taking it very easy on my commute, would be a lot less if I trashed it like Mr Gunshot though :lol:

Guest gunshot72

Yeah I worked that out at around 63mpg as well so not bad at all considering my part exchanged CBR600F was giving me no more then 40 mpg. It would be interesting to find out what real world range the reserve of 2.9 litres gives. Currently I reckon I'd get 200 miles out of a 14 litre tank if I ran to dry. Given the unique fake tank of the NC I plan to take a small canister a fuel in there and run the engine dry to see what it gives me. Will report back.

Still loving this bike though. Apart from the slightly more thinking needed for fast overtakes I'm bowled over by it's pleasent and fun handling.

Edited by gunshot72
Fishmanboy

Has the lack of engine braking almost caught you out yet? Almost did me on one of my test rides? Lol

Let us know what u get out of a full tank with sprited riding... Would be interesting :-)

Guest gunshot72

Haven't really noticed the lack of engine braking to be honest as my Street Triple is also very smooth when decelerating. I did however almost come a cropper on the way to work this morning when a stationary volvo estate with his hazards on decided to do a three point turn without any look at all. In a 60 limit! How stupid of me to assume his hazards meant he was broken down and therefore not about to move into my path.

Fishmanboy

Stupid Volvo drivers haha... Glad you are ok though.

I have a v-twin and the engine braking on that is collosal, so a bit of adjustment needed me thinks lol

Guest gunshot72

As an update to this post I got my reserve flasher coming on at 177 miles today. I then rode for another 43 miles on reserve before I ran out completely. So 220 miles out of a 14.1 litre tank with a 15 stone rider with around 30% fast riding. Pretty good!

• Like 1
Guest Tumbleweed

As an update to this post I got my reserve flasher coming on at 177 miles today. I then rode for another 43 miles on reserve before I ran out completely. So 220 miles out of a 14.1 litre tank with a 15 stone rider with around 30% fast riding. Pretty good!

Hope you had some spare fuel on you!!!!!!! It`s a right bugger when you have to walk to the petrol station. On our way to pick my CBF up in Norwich last year we ran out about half a mile from an exit on the M1. Guess who got to walk to the exit and find a petrol station! Kept expecting to get picked up by the local constabulary. Can`t blame the other half though as the computer on his GS told him he had another 86 miles range left! His fuel sender had just been replaced......with another dodgy fuel sender......oh how we laughed....not!!!!!

Guest Tumbleweed

Yes I had a 750ml fuel canister in the not the tank!

Bet you used to be in the Scouts!!

I usually carry a 1000ml fuel bottle now........just in case!! Don`t fancy walking again :(

Fishmanboy

On days when i'm half alseep going to work I ride like an absolute granny so will no doubt see about 1000 miles from my tank... ok maybe not that much lol :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
edgey999

Just got 89mpg!!

Very careful riding to avoid waiting with the muppets fighting to get fuel by me.

Guest Patrick

...another 30 miles and the fuel gauge went from a healthy 2 squares to suddenly one flashing, I stoped at the side of road thinking there was a problem like I had read about in the manual- carried on a bit and it reverted to 2 squares, 2 mile on and it's flashing again. 170 miles now so I guess we're on reserve? Not very subtle from half to near empty, is this normal? :wacko:

Guest gunshot72

Yes normal for the bars to go and then reappear after a corner or bumpy section and 170 miles to reserve is what I got on my first tank full. It has got better though now that I've done 700 miles and I've re-calibrated my shifting to lower down the revs!

Having only 5 bars for fuel is not really accurate and it makes for the tank sensor to get it wrong sometimes. However, the reserve last bar is pretty accurate. The last two bars above the reserve seem to disappear twice as fast as the others above it and the actual reserve amount is very conservative, giving me some 50 extra miles.

Edited by gunshot72
Guest Patrick

I know it's already been done on here, but I'm going to as well. I have a bottle of petrol in the boot so I'm going to run it dry and clock the miles, you just need to know these things!

Guest ex-member

I know it's already been done on here, but I'm going to as well. I have a bottle of petrol in the boot so I'm going to run it dry and clock the miles, you just need to know these things!

We are eagerly waiting your results and see if your adventure chokes up your fuel injectors etc... :no:

the clock on mine says 23km....hmm still virgin i guess.

:kiss:

Edited by swissnc700
Guest CvEsch

May prove to be wise to have some spare fuel in the Not-the-tank.

What kind of bottle do you gents use? I recon a standard soda bottle may not be so well resistant to the fuel..?

Guest Patrick

Ever since the hose pipe ban came into force it hasn't stopped raining. Where have the normal smileys gone, no er, smiley face- just aggressive ones :-(

if anyone dares to mention the rights or wrongs about carrying petrol in a tin i will seriouslly do one

Guest gunshot72

What kind of bottle do you gents use? I recon a standard soda bottle may not be so well resistant to the fuel..?

Use something better than this please! It's not about resistance to fuel. If it splits for any reason the fuel will drop through the bottom of the storage box, which is not sealed, and onto a hot gearbox. I used a steel camping canister with a very secure sealed cap.

Guest matt_bex

Use something better than this please! It's not about resistance to fuel. If it splits for any reason the fuel will drop through the bottom of the storage box, which is not sealed, and onto a hot gearbox. I used a steel camping canister with a very secure sealed cap.

Here here!